You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Layer order doesn't work - is it the camera?

Hi -

I am baffled and really can't find the answer anywhere.

Here's the problem. I want the star to be under the rocket. According to the layer order that is where it should be right? No matter where I move it in the project panel (Background group, text group etc) it stays in the same place. I've restarted Motion thinking maybe it glitched or something like that and that didn't help. Is it something to do with the camera, maybe?

Could someone also be so kind as to explain to me why is it when I move the star in X or Y position it acts exactly the opposite? Meaning X moves it vertically and Y moves it horizontally. Again, it must be due to the camera, right? But the camera still mystifies me. I keep working with it hoping one day I will "get it". It's happened with other things so I'm thinking one day it will click.

I decided to go back and rework this tutorial (first one I ever did) just to see if anything seems easier to me now. And if I could pick up anything I could use. It actually is easier (yay!) and I did pick up a couple new things now that I understand some concepts better...except then I came across this little snafu. I'm sure (and I'm hoping) this is one of those very easy fixes like when your computer doesn't turn on and IT asks "did you plug the computer in?" and you face palm yourself and slink out of the room...you know, that kind of easy. :)

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sandee

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 8:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 10:00 PM

If you're looking through a camera in real life, and pan from left to right — in the viewfinder, your subject will appear to move from right to left... correct? That's how Camera works. If you adjust the X/Y of the Camera, objects it is looking at appear to move in the opposite direction. Moving the Camera in *negative Z-space* will make objects appear closer and in positive Z-space further away.

If you have the Camera rotated on the Z-axis by 90º or 270º, X position changes of objects will appear to move vertically and Y position changes will appear to move horizontally. The same will happen if you Rotate the parent Group and adjust the X/Y of the contained objects (with or without a camera.)

Your Group: ROCKET ELEMENTS (Layer column "Preview") shows the Rocket in a horizontal orientation while the Object: GRADIATEDROCKETLO... shows the rocket in a vertical orientation. I believe the "culprit" here will be that the Group is Rotated (not the Camera).

A cool trick is to select the parent group and click the Active Camera menu and select Frame Object (or type Command-Shift-F). Then you can manipulate X & Y parameters of contained objects and they will behave as expected. When you're finished making positional adjustments, you can go back the camera menu and select Reset View (or type Control-R).

HTH

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2024 10:00 PM in response to Creator_needs_help

If you're looking through a camera in real life, and pan from left to right — in the viewfinder, your subject will appear to move from right to left... correct? That's how Camera works. If you adjust the X/Y of the Camera, objects it is looking at appear to move in the opposite direction. Moving the Camera in *negative Z-space* will make objects appear closer and in positive Z-space further away.

If you have the Camera rotated on the Z-axis by 90º or 270º, X position changes of objects will appear to move vertically and Y position changes will appear to move horizontally. The same will happen if you Rotate the parent Group and adjust the X/Y of the contained objects (with or without a camera.)

Your Group: ROCKET ELEMENTS (Layer column "Preview") shows the Rocket in a horizontal orientation while the Object: GRADIATEDROCKETLO... shows the rocket in a vertical orientation. I believe the "culprit" here will be that the Group is Rotated (not the Camera).

A cool trick is to select the parent group and click the Active Camera menu and select Frame Object (or type Command-Shift-F). Then you can manipulate X & Y parameters of contained objects and they will behave as expected. When you're finished making positional adjustments, you can go back the camera menu and select Reset View (or type Control-R).

HTH

Sep 10, 2024 8:22 PM in response to fox_m

Hey Fox!

I just now got to see you answered...thank you! I want to spend more time on this tomorrow and put into action your trick of framing the object (saw some of this in Ripple Training tutorials-but this is giving me a real life example).

I'm not expecting to have to write back...but I will reply again if I have more questions. (you know me always full of questions!) Thank you for always answering and always having the best answers. Hope life is treating you well!

Sep 14, 2024 10:29 PM in response to Creator_needs_help

Thank you! It could have been worse. No matter how well prepared you can get, there's always the cleanup afterward that takes up more of your time and usually exhausting; and the power failures (for someone who "lives" on coffee, they're very hard to take)... this time it was only 44 1/2 hours (longest was 13 days for Gustav & Ike.) Mid-westerners refer to powerful tornadoes as the "Finger of God" — I suppose that could be the same for any natural disaster.

Sep 16, 2024 2:00 PM in response to fox_m

Fox!!!

I'm so glad you wrote back. I was totally wondering if you made it ok and I didn't want to keep bothering you in case that was inappropriate behavior on this forum somehow. :)

But dang! Almost two days without power? That's crazy! And 13??! Well, that I just can't even imagine. Seriously, I can't. Tornadoes freak me out too-all of it does and it seems we are getting more and more of everything (tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, fires etc etc) happening...all over the world really. I'm really very glad to hear you are ok and I hope the caffeine headaches weren't too bad. I'd just be drinking hot sodas! lol

Layer order doesn't work - is it the camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.