You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Music app home share songs won't play to bluetooth devices

I doubt I'll find an answer here, I've Googled and other's have asked about this with no good answers, but I'm putting this here just to let people know it's still an issue that seems to have started some time back in 2022.

I have for a decade and a half now, stored my music on a desktop computer and used Home Share to stream it to a laptop when I'm working on the laptop. This worked fine until sometime in 2022, when it stopped working with newer bluetooth devices (Including Airpods). The song looks like it's playing but there will be no sound. If I try to use wired headphones or the laptop speakers, the songs play fine. But if I connect my Airpod Pros or Bose QC45s, the music goes silent again.

It is not the devices. How do I know this? Spotify or YouTube play just fine on the bluetooth devices, locally stored files in Music app play just fine, but the Home Shared songs do not play.

I have tried this now across two different computers, a 2019 Macbook Pro and a 2022 M2 Macbook Air, to the same result.

Interestingly, I can listen to the songs if I use older bluetooth headphones, for example I have some 10 year old Bose headphones that will play Home Share songs just fine over bluetooth. I also have some older Shockz that also play the Home Share songs just fine. However, Airpods or my newer Bose QC45s will not play the Home Share songs.

This seems to be isolated to something to do with Home Share, newer bluetooth protocols, and a MacOS update that happened sometime in 2022.

Now, I'm fully expecting for someone to reply "did you try to re-pair the bluetooth." Of course I did, if it was that easy I'd have fixed it by now. Maybe, just maybe, someone here knows how to fix it, if not, maybe Apple can fix the bug.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 7:31 AM

There are no replies.

Music app home share songs won't play to bluetooth devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.