You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I turn off the password requirement in macOS?

On previous version's of MacOS, one used to be able to defeat the requirement for a password. I seem to get asked to input my password all the time, but it is definitely not required, as I am the sole user of my MacBook - not even my partner needs access to it. 

I can't seem to find out how to accomplish the same thing in Sonoma. Kindly advise.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 7:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 7:56 AM

How to log in automatically to a Mac user account

Do suggesting all the article for more details

There are some specific requirements for this to work

Excerpt from link

" if the setting is dimmed or unavailable

If the automatic login setting is dimmed or doesn't show the account name, then manual login is required. For example, manual login is required in these circumstances:

• FileVault is turned on. 
  • Your Mac is supervised by your organization, using a profile that prohibits automatic login.
  • The account is set up to use an iCloud password to log in. In that case, you might also see the message “A user with an encrypted home folder can't log in automatically.” Learn how to change the login password. "

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2024 7:56 AM in response to bwardapple14

How to log in automatically to a Mac user account

Do suggesting all the article for more details

There are some specific requirements for this to work

Excerpt from link

" if the setting is dimmed or unavailable

If the automatic login setting is dimmed or doesn't show the account name, then manual login is required. For example, manual login is required in these circumstances:

• FileVault is turned on. 
  • Your Mac is supervised by your organization, using a profile that prohibits automatic login.
  • The account is set up to use an iCloud password to log in. In that case, you might also see the message “A user with an encrypted home folder can't log in automatically.” Learn how to change the login password. "

Sep 10, 2024 8:40 AM in response to bwardapple14

I seem to get asked to input my password all the time, but it is definitely not required, as I am the sole user of my MacBook

You are not the sole user of your MacBook. There are about 100 other users that do various things behind the scenes. Part of the security is not allowing those unfettered access to your data. It’s not likely that anyone will manage to hack your Mac, but you make it a lot easier by not password protecting your user account.

I’m not sure what you consider. “all the time,” but it shouldn’t be what I consider all the time. If you have somehow set a different password for your keychain, than your login then you would have to enter that password every time something needed one of the entries in your keychain. I enter my password to login or log back in from the lock screen, but unless I’m doing some sort of administrative task that requires me to elevate my privileges, I don’t have to enter my password.

How do I turn off the password requirement in macOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.