You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

macOS crashing when selecting HomePod

When selecting a HomePod (the big one, version 1) as audiodevice macOS is crashing.

Sometimes when selecting, appletv as audiodevice, the operation is successful.

I already performed a reinstall of Sonoma. I reset and reinstalled the HomePods. No results.

Streaming from iPad or iPhone to the HomePods runs without troubles.

But just clicking, selecting, a HomePod in the entries of the macOS action bar. macOS is crashing.

Everything on latest level software.

The machine is a 2020 M1 mac mini.

Just had a chat with first line apple support, but no solution.

I didn't get the promised link to 'help' and also the promised call from a senior didn't came in.

any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 11:33 AM

9 replies

Sep 10, 2024 2:32 PM in response to josz

Could there bea song paused on the thing foe more than 3 minutes???

Apple Music crash / streaming both HomePo… - Apple Community

Bad Cord?

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/yed5x3/my_homepod_mini_keeps_crashing/

Restart HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
  2. Tap or click HomePod, then tap or click the Settings button.
  3. If you have two HomePod speakers set up as a stereo pair, select Restart HomePod. If your HomePod speaker is not set up as a stereo pair, select Reset HomePod, then select Restart HomePod.

If you don't see an option to restart your HomePod, unplug it from power, then plug it back in and try again.

Reset Homepod?

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Sep 10, 2024 2:44 PM in response to BDAqua

It is MacOS(mac mini) that crashes. Immediately when selecting a HomePod.

I've already reset and reinstalled the HomePods.

The weird thing is that when selecting the appletv it goes well. Sometimes macOS crashes.

When I use the home app at the mac mini and set an alarm in the HomePod it works.

I cannot find any trace what-where goes wrong.

Sep 11, 2024 2:33 PM in response to BDAqua

What a journey!

The advantage of having a problem is...... learning.

Sound is coming again from the homepods.

This morning I had telephone contact with apple support, but no link was found to networkconfiguration.

In apple's databases a problem like this was not found.

Thanks DBAqua for assistance!

The exact cause is difficult point. Fact is that I recently moved my desk to another location in the houde and that I changed my wifi equipment.

Obviously there are still holes in macos...

again: Thanks!

Sep 10, 2024 3:04 PM in response to josz

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info. Give it Full Disk Access.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Give etrecheck Full Disk Access before running.

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

Sep 11, 2024 12:09 PM in response to josz

Aha, nice work so far my friend.. try it without ethernet cable connected.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Settings>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Network  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)

2. Click the Action pop-up menu  on the right, then choose Set Service Order.
  3. Drag services into the order you want.
  4. Click OK.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

System Settings>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Setttings>Network, click a network service on the right, click Details, then click DNS. (You may need to scroll down.)

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Network  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Click the network service you want to use (such as Wi-Fi or Ethernet) on the right, then click Details.
  3. Click DNS, click the Add button  at the bottom of the DNS Servers list, then enter the IPv4 or IPv6 address for the DNS server.
  4. Click the Add button  at the bottom of the Search Domain list, then enter the search domain.
  5. When you’ve finished, click OK.

Enter these numbers...

Apply.

macOS crashing when selecting HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.