You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

moving picture from 'photos' to desktop

Why does my mac mini "fail to create a file" for my photos stored in 'Photos' on the same computer? It reports an unknown error. I am running Sonoma 14.6.1

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 3:42 PM

4 replies

Sep 11, 2024 6:37 AM in response to Hdsrv

If you Have iCloud Drive set for Desktop and Documents, you might be better export to some other folder in you home folder so the files do not get uploaded to the cloud.

Do you by chance use a "referenced" Photos library. That is not recommended because the links to the originals is flaky.

Use Photos > File > Export > Export unmodified (if you want the originals as you imported them -- .xmp sidecars carry the metadata edits you might have done in Photos and you can use 3rd party utilities to join them to the originals) or just Export (if you want to include and pixel and metadata edits you have done in Photos and do not mind slight quality loss when re-encoding).

Do not drag and drop from Photos because it yields unexpected results like only a low-res thumbnail that you might not notice until it is too late.

moving picture from 'photos' to desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.