You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Students renaming ipads to post obscene Airplay requests on classroom Apple TV. How to stop?

Our school uses Apple TV to stream classroom lessons as needed. Every student has an ipad. Recently some students appear to renaming their ipads (say from John Adams to poopoo) and then requesting airplay access to the Apple TV. The request will show up on the TV with the 4 digit security code and whatever message they typed in place of their ipad name. Since every room in the school has a TV named by the room number they do not need to be in class to be disruptive. How can I prevent this in a school setting? Does the ipad or apple tv have connection logs to trace what device is trying to connect. Not very experienced with Apple devices yet. Thank you.

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 6:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 7:56 PM

If your school has simply said bring a iPad, there is little that can be done. (well, I'd probably rename the Apple TVs to names not associated with the room but that only works if students don't otherwise know the names -- which would be unlikely as kids are ... resourceful).

If your school deploys the iPads but doesn't manage them, the school really ought to manage the devices too.

There are many solutions. See K–12 Education - Deploy and Manage - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2024 7:56 PM in response to bobBob1970

If your school has simply said bring a iPad, there is little that can be done. (well, I'd probably rename the Apple TVs to names not associated with the room but that only works if students don't otherwise know the names -- which would be unlikely as kids are ... resourceful).

If your school deploys the iPads but doesn't manage them, the school really ought to manage the devices too.

There are many solutions. See K–12 Education - Deploy and Manage - Apple

Students renaming ipads to post obscene Airplay requests on classroom Apple TV. How to stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.