You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

MacBook Air not syncing with iTunes library

Hi, I have a new(2year old) 15” MacBook Air, and an older ( about 5 years) 13” MacBook Air. When I got my 13”, my iTunes library did not fully sync with my MacBook Pro, which was my computer at the time. I also have an iPad and iPhone. Both of those devices talk to each other therefore I have my music library on both. I could never seem to get the library on my 13” MacBook. About a year or so ago my MacBook Pro died. Just like that, one day it went black and that was that. That’s when I decided to replace it with a 15” MacBook Air. Since then I only have my library on my phone and iPad. I cannot get all of my library on my computer. Briefly I did join Apple Music as it was suggested to me that by joining it, my library would end up on all my devices, Didn’t happen, and so I quit the free trial. Then all my music disappeared. For some strange reason the next day my phone and iPad were given back the music. I called Apple and they suggested I try to sync my computer with one of the devices. They gave me instructions as to where to find the sync button. I did that and got most of the music on my computer, BUT not the playlists I made. I made my playlists from purchased songs and cds I had burned into my MacBook Pro.Neither computer has my complete library, and now I wonder if there is a problem with the AIR products syncing with iTunes and personal libraries. Any thoughts on this? Anyone had problems like this with AIR products. Should I replace the AIR with a MacBook Pro?

Thanks for reading.

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 9:33 AM

3 replies

Sep 11, 2024 10:27 AM in response to losing the love

I'm not suggesting that something is dysfunctional (the problem you are having notwithstanding), but I am saying that if you are actually using iTunes then you are NOT running current MacOS/iOS. iTunes was deprecated in 2019, so if you have a two year old Mac it cannot be running iTunes.

It's a bit confusing as far as terminology. Music is the name of the app on your Mac and iPhone. "Apple Music" is the name of Apple's subscription service that provides streaming access to a large catalog of songs. You do not need a subscription to Apple Music to run the Music app and store/play music locally on a device.

Connect your device to your Mac to sync Music content - Apple Support

Note that the process is ONE WAY. You can transfer music from your Mac to your iPhone, but NOT the other way around.

Even though iTunes application are gone, Apple still offers a service separate from Music called iTunes Match. It is intended to sync music across all your devices. But again, that starts with music on your Mac, not your phone. The hook there is if you've previously ripped CDs onto your Mac, the proper digital versions get added to your library and synced across devices (which is why the service is not free).

Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support

Sep 11, 2024 10:09 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Thank you but I do have the latest updates. When I spoke to Apple there was no mention of the music or iTunes being dysfunctional. If that’s the case, Apple should just come clean with the notion that it doesn’t work as it did. I really don’t want to be held hostage with a subscription I pay every month just to enjoy what I want to hear. They should support their own products regardless of age, if they still offer it. Don’t you agree? Thanks.

MacBook Air not syncing with iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.