You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Voice Control makes the device lag, freeze, crash.

Hello,

Recently I started using voice control on all my devices like Macbook Air M2, Ipad Air 4 Gen, iPhone 12 P. At some point I realised that my iPhone started freezing, lags, slow responses and I thought this was because the phone is just old, until I started experiencing the same thing on my Macbook which was bought 2 months ago as a brand new, the same happened to my iPad. On my Macbook sometimes certain application were freezing and this colourful circle appeared. My iPhone started working very slowly and also started freezing, this never happened before. Since this started happening to all my devices I realised that the only recent change and common thing is the Voice Control. I turned off the voice control on my iPhone and iPad and they started working smoothly and without freezings again... Of course every device is updated..

Has anybody experienced the same problem?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 11, 2024 9:47 PM

11 replies

Sep 15, 2024 9:01 AM in response to skuenstler

skuenstler wrote: "...the battery is at 79%."

80% is the level at which Apple suggests replacing the battery.

"Should be enough to make voice-control work, no???"

No, I doubt it – considering it's continuously listening for voice commands, requiring the device's microphone to be active and also processing audio data in real-time.

Although a weak, aging battery can supply sufficient power for other simpler functions, it may not for the higher demands of Voice Control.

Also be aware of that if a weak battery fails during an iOS update, the iPhone can be 'bricked'.

iPhone Battery Service

õ¿õ¬

Sep 13, 2024 2:55 AM in response to skuenstler

Same here! Voice-control freezes my iPhone 11. The freeze takes between 7 up to 20sec (during the freeze, I cannot do anything on the phone). This is totally unacceptable. What did Apple change with version 17.6.1 ?? The freeze happens since this version, I think.

In fact, just trying to enter the voice-control menu already freezes the phone.

And I observe that there is an endless spinner in my voice-control language download.

My storage is 56 GB out of 64. How much space does voice-control languages need ?

On another phone (iPhone 12) I also observe the freeze-behaviour. And there the storage is 80% empty - so the freeze-behaviour shoulnd't be storage related...

Any idea what to do ?

Voice Control makes the device lag, freeze, crash.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.