You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I want my Mac Studio to power on when the AC is on automatically

If I want my Mac studio to power on when the AC is on automatically.How to do it

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 2:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 7:51 AM

It might not be exactly what you want, but you can configure a Mac to turn on automatically after a power failure: Refer to Start up automatically after a power failure in Change Energy Saver settings on a Mac desktop computer - Apple Support.

We have to interpret that Apple Support document literally: If you intentionally shut down a Mac, and then remove its power source, it will not automatically start up when that power source is restored. On the other hand an unexpected loss of power causes a different shutdown event to be logged; an entry noted by the Mac when power is eventually restored. That unexpected loss of power must have occurred for it to subsequently start up automatically.

Perhaps that will help, because a Mac that has been properly shut down will remain shut down — unless it has been programmed to start up at particular times as noted by my colleague PRP_53.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 12, 2024 7:51 AM in response to pracha128

It might not be exactly what you want, but you can configure a Mac to turn on automatically after a power failure: Refer to Start up automatically after a power failure in Change Energy Saver settings on a Mac desktop computer - Apple Support.

We have to interpret that Apple Support document literally: If you intentionally shut down a Mac, and then remove its power source, it will not automatically start up when that power source is restored. On the other hand an unexpected loss of power causes a different shutdown event to be logged; an entry noted by the Mac when power is eventually restored. That unexpected loss of power must have occurred for it to subsequently start up automatically.

Perhaps that will help, because a Mac that has been properly shut down will remain shut down — unless it has been programmed to start up at particular times as noted by my colleague PRP_53.

Sep 12, 2024 11:24 AM in response to pracha128

Another reason NOT to do that is that a Mac has an Always-On internal power supply. This generates very small amounts of power to backup the clock chip and the parameter RAM.

Without external AC power available it will rely on the internal PRAM backup battery to maintain the parameters that make staring it up and using it on a whim easy. You will wear this battery out sooner than necessary.

I want my Mac Studio to power on when the AC is on automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.