You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple Music on iMac - locating the library file

For some reason I can no longer remember, all my music is stored on my MAc's internal hard drive, but the library file is stored on an external USB SSD.

I want to move the library file onto the computer, but the SSD has several such files. I know how to make Music use a different library file but I don;t know how I can know for certain which is the one currently in use.

Can anyone help - I have a very large number of playlists and I really don't want to mess this up!

Thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 5:45 AM

1 reply

Sep 12, 2024 7:54 AM in response to Gfoxcroft

If you press and hold down option as you launch Music and select the Choose Library prompt you should be shown the current location of the active library file. Alternatively search for the .musiclibrary files on your computer. The one you are currently using will have the most recent modification date.

See also Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community.

tt2

Apple Music on iMac - locating the library file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.