You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

My ipadOS is at 15.8.3 and i need update to higher

My iPadOS is at 15.8.3 but I need to have it at 16.4 to be able to use an education app (i-Ready) my son needs. How do I update my iPad? When I go to General-Software Updates, it says my iPad is up to date already. Is there a way to install newer OS?

thx

Posted on Sep 12, 2024 12:03 PM

2 replies

Sep 13, 2024 9:50 AM in response to milica101

With iPadOS 15.8.3 installed, you presumably have either an iPad Air2 or iPad mini4 - neither of which support iPadOS 16.x or later.

If you need to use Apps that require a higher version of iPadOS than your iPad is capable of support, you have no alternative other than to replace your existing iPad with a much newer or current model iPad.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi+Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi+Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1*, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3* - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.8.3

iPad5, iPad Pro (9.7"/12.9" first generation) - iPadOS 16.7.10

(*) obsolete

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version - iPadOS 17.6.1

• iPad Pro 13" (M4)
  • iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11" (1st generation and later + M4)
  • iPad Pro 10.5"
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later + M2)
  • iPad (6th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Sep 12, 2024 1:08 PM in response to milica101

milica101 wrote:

My iPadOS is at 15.8.3 but I need to have it at 16.4 to be able to use an education app (i-Ready) my son needs. How do I update my iPad? When I go to General-Software Updates, it says my iPad is up to date already. Is there a way to install newer OS?
thx

No, your ipad is at the end of the line for ios updates.

You will need to upgrade to a newer ipad to get the latest ios.

My ipadOS is at 15.8.3 and i need update to higher

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.