You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple HomeKit: Leaving Home not recognized

I want to start an automation in HomeKit when the last person leaves the house. The Automation works when I test it inside the Home App on my MacBook. But when I leave the house with my iPhone it doesn't recognize that I left home (physically).

We have several Apple gadgets in our use. I defined the automation for testing purposes to "When I leave home". I took my iPhone and Apple Watch. The HomeKit is running on an AppleTV. There are some HomePods in the house.

I checked on my iPhone that location services are turned on for the Home app. I was about 1km far away for like 30mins. Still it didn't trigger. Does the MacBook has to leave as well?

What else can I do to test this? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 13, 2024 7:04 AM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2024 2:33 PM in response to Andreas_M

You need to also set this up in Find My and specify the device, eg, Apple Watch & iPhone

On your iPhone, Go to Settings > [your name] > Find My and turn on Share My Location. Make sure that "This Device" is selected next to My Location. My screenshot is for my iPhone and it automatically added my Watch

For other family members and more info see: Create scenes and automations with the Home app - Apple Support

Sep 20, 2024 2:11 AM in response to Vancouver22

Hi Vancouver,

many thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that in the original post. I do have enabled the "Share my location". Now, although I have an (non-cellular) Apple Watch it is not mentioned in the menu and I cannot manually add it either. The screenshot is in German and from iOS 18, but it should be the same as yours.

Any other ideas, what I could/should do?

Thanks and regards

Andy

Apple HomeKit: Leaving Home not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.