You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Accessibility-Sopken Content-Speak Screen auto completes words and adding my own custom pronunciations does not work

Tldr: custom pronunciations are not updating and speek screen continues incorrectly saying words.

I often use Speak Screen to read out webpages or text to me and I've come across some phrases/abbreviations that are pronounced completely incorrectly. I was reading a webpage that included the name Cui and it pronounced it as C.U.I. as if it were an abbreviation. 

I tried to correct it using a custom pronunciation as Tswei and it didn't update. I've tried adding various punctuation around the name in case that was an issue (such as Cui. Cui, "Cui). I've also tried turning my phone off and on, turning speak screen off and on, turning speak screen off then turning my phone off and on then re-turning my speek screen on in hopes that it would update some kind of cache. None of which worked.

I've also had issues where it would assume a word is shorthand for a longer word such as "Feat" or "m" and would what it assumes what the word should be. In those cases it was "featuring" and "meter" where the context was "it was a great feat" and "1 million views". 

Is there anyway to force update my pronunciation list or turn off abbreviations?

If it helps, my iOS is updated to 17.6.1 and I'm using an iphone 14 pro with Safari.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 14, 2024 2:05 PM

1 reply

Sep 15, 2024 7:27 PM in response to MintyMelty

Hi MintyMelty,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community

Re: "Accessibility-Sopken Content-Speak Screen auto completes words

and adding my own custom pronunciations does not work"

"custom pronunciations are not updating and speek screen continues incorrectly saying words."

Am no expert in this area, yet your request deserves some response. Others may offer their expertise once a discussion is under way. If you don't receive answers: Below is info. on asking the Accessibility Team at Apple.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "I've come across some phrases/abbreviations that are pronounced completely incorrectly."

Seems you are adding the custom pronunciations in Settings  > Accessibility > Spoken Content > Pronunciation

yet you are not having much success. You can dictate or spell out how you want certain phrases to be spoken, however, as with all technology, nothing is perfect. Sometimes patiently trying a few different variations may help.

Wondering if Speak Screen may not be adequate for your needs. Have you tried the other Accessibility feature "VoiceOver" as a screen-reader ? NB: Seems it can be more of a learning curve to get used to, as it is gesture based, yet it seems efficient, and is especially for those with low-vision or blindness.

Is there anyway to force update my pronunciation list or turn off abbreviations?

Sorry, am unaware of anything like that for Speak Screen.

Apple Support has a short video that explains "How to customize VoiceOver pronunciation on your iPhone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLbZ2F_V6U

________

If needed:

Apple's Accessibility Support Website: (NB: You can "Get Support" with Accessibility features (eg: online chat / phone / email etc.) from the experts at Apple using link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

or: To provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product,

you can email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com

All the best :-)

Accessibility-Sopken Content-Speak Screen auto completes words and adding my own custom pronunciations does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.