You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple home shows incorrect accessory status in both iOS and MacOS

As with the previous comments, I get inconsistent information when I leave home. Mine is slightly different in that it is always the same seven devices that display incorrectly. They display incorrectly in both the Mac Home app and the iOS app.

My scene is "when the last person has left home" turn off all accessories except the AppleTV.

My devices are: MacBook Air M2 (Sonoma 14.6.1); iPhone SE(2) (iOS 17.6.1); AppleTV HD (tvOS 17.7.1) - all current at the date of submission. Mac app Version 8.0 (873.7.6); iOS version

All accessories are IKEA, running through a Dirigera hub. The hub firmware is up to date at 2.615.8, and the app is 1.36.0. I can't tell about the individual accessories.

There are two groups of living room lights - the wall lights all treated as a single accessory, and the table lamp is an accessory on its own; one group of hall lights - the hall ceiling and the porch.

When we all leave the house, the scene "Turn off all except appleTV" runs to shut down all appropriate accessories. The AppleTV remains on. However, Home in both apps shows that the lights have come on. In fact, they haven't. If I turn them off in either the Mac app or the iOS app, they show as turned off, but the physical lights turn on. If I then turn them on and off in either app, they then turn off.

Alternatively, I can see their genuine state in the IKEA app, and deal with them through there, with a trustworthy result.

This only happens to lights. Not to sockets.

How do I know? My wife took both phones out beyond the geofence while I stayed home and watched.

It would seem that almost three years on from the original post in this thread, that there is no improvement in reliability.

iPhone SE, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 16, 2024 6:06 AM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2024 5:35 PM in response to NBT123

I absolutely agree with you that you should wait for the next software release. I’m just offering you an option because the update also updates the Home App. The tvOS update suggestion is regarding the Apple tv acting as the only Home Hub that you mentioned having.

The Home App should sync across all devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID.

• So you might try signing out of your primary user iCloud account on the Apple TV, restarting it, then signing back in and setting up AirPlay & HomeKit again so this part of your HomeKit gets reset.

• Any Automations and scenes not working should be deleted and added again once you’ve done the above suggestion.
  • you can try this now or wait until the next software releases are issued.

If you feel there’s indeed a bug that Apple needs to be made aware of, it can be done so here: Feedback - Home App - Apple

Sep 18, 2024 9:39 AM in response to Vancouver22

I shall try that in due course, but there are good reasons not to be an early adopter of any Apple major software release. First let the other people find the bugs, because there will undoubtedly be more of them than just the one you want to fix. Always wait until X.0.1 at least before you dive into the unknown.

And the answer, "install the next level," is the most frequently touted and least successful of options. There's nothing here:

macOS Sequoia 15 Release Notes | Apple Developer Documentation

or here:

What's new in the updates for macOS Sequoia - Apple Support

to indicate that the problem is fixed by this release. That it has persisted as a bug for more than three years suggests that it's below the horizon and that Apple doesn't really care that much about it. Having spoken to Executive Relations recently about a different problem, I know that their effort is concentrated on Apple Vision, not the little systems or products.

Sep 22, 2024 11:48 PM in response to Vancouver22

I decided to take the bull by the horns and upgrade simultaneously to Sequoia, iOS 18.0.0, and tvOS 18.0.0

That was a disastrous decision.

The status shown on the iPhone and Mac apps is still in error, except that, instead of the same lamps showing false positives when the last person leaves home, then turning on when they’re switched off in the apps, any light can indicate a false positive. Sometimes only one. Sometimes half a dozen. When any of them is turned off in the app, the real bulb turns on.

In addition, 3 out of 4 groups of lights no longer respond as groups.

I had these set up on shortcuts which run when no activity is detected in the room. The shortcuts ran flawlessly until the upgrade. Now those light groups don’t respond to the shortcut command “Set <accessory>” correctly. 

Either nothing happens, or they go off when they’re supposed to dim, or they fail to change hue. Or one member of the group - usually the one previously identified in the “Get <accessory>” obeys the command, and the others fail to.

Meanwhile in the IKEA app, and with the IKEA remote controls, everything continues to work exactly as it should.

The problem is clearly in the Apple interface.

I removed one group of lights completely from the IKEA hub, then reintroduced them with different names, and put them back into the correct place in Apple Home.

However, several of my scripting commands then failed to work in the iOS Home app. Not because the light names had changed, but because the old statements that referred to them could not be updated either to the new names or in some cases to the correct attribute.  For example, an old statement “Get Window-light power state” would take the new name, but would then only allow Hue as a variable. The following “If” group would also only recognise Hue.  By deleting the “Get” statement and inserting a new one, it is possible to get the correct attribute from the correct bulb, and only then does the corresponding If group work correctly.

Even so, this is better than the Mac interface, where inserting a new “Get” or “Set” statement does not necessarily guarantee that it can be populated.

My next step will be to write an automation triggered by a dummy switch when the last person goes away. This will test each accessory in turn and switch it off only if it is on. I hope that will fix the problems caused by using a scene directly triggered by the last person going away.

I shall persist until I have rectified all the problems previously mentioned, and fixed those caused by upgrading the various software levels.

Apple home shows incorrect accessory status in both iOS and MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.