You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to delete Homesharing music playlists (that are not showing up in Apple Music)

Hello,

I want to delete old music playlist on my iMac that where created using iTunes, but iTunes is gone now.

They do NOT appear in the Apple Music on my iMac.

However I see these playlists in system preferences/sharing (when clicking on Guests/Options).

See Picture 1.

These playlists appear in the Music Library / Homesharing on my iPhone and iPads .

See Picture 2.

Library on iPhone/Homesharing

But I cannot delete these playlists from these devices.

I guess these playlists can only be deleted on my iMac.

But these playlists do NOT appear in the Music App on my iMac.

See picture 3.

Additional nuisance : These playlists (created like 5 years ago) also re-appear in brand new installed software like Djay Pro (in the local music folder). But again, I cannot edit (delete them) in Djay Pro.

It must be done somewhere on native Apple stuff, but how ?

See picture 4 (Djay Pro).

So, how do I get rid of these playlists (that are all empty), and that I can see in preferences/sharing on my iMac, and on all my devices using homesharing, but that I cannot see/edit/delete using the Music App on Mac.

This is driving my nuts ! As I did not understand where it came from.

Then I eventually understood it had something to do with Homesharing (and probably iTune stuff not showing in Music App on iMac).

But how to solve it ?

Thank you.

Additional information

• I am using MacOs Monterey 12.7.6.
  • All devises use the same Apple account.
  • I have tried all things coming to mind like deleting .musiclibrary, syncing iCould, turn on and off Homesharing, logging on and off from iCloud. Nothing is solving the issue.
  • For what it is worth, I am seeing the name of these legacy playlists in user/library/preferences/com.apple.amp.mediasharingd.plist.
  • I am ready to enter Terminal commands if you tell me what to do.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Sep 16, 2024 6:04 AM

2 replies

Sep 17, 2024 4:14 AM in response to DavidV100

Additional Information

In the Music App of my iMac (where I see none of the ghost playlists), I clicked on :

• Music App Menu Bar -> File -> Import

Or alternatively

• Music App Menu Bar -> File -> Playlist -> Import Playlist

Then I see this 'Finder like' Window.

Clicking on the side Bar below on "Music" (in the lower part of the side bar) : my ghost playlists appear.

But I can not import them (nothing happens when I click on it, "Open" button remains greyed).

These are the 'ghost playlists' I want to delete.

So, how to see them again in the Music App (in order to deleted them).

Or how to delete then by any other way ?

(where is this stored ? I cannot find this path using the usual Finder App).

Thank you.

How to delete Homesharing music playlists (that are not showing up in Apple Music)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.