You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

My accounts in Mail app stopped to sync post update

After instalation ios 18 all my accounts in mail app stopped to sync( including icloud mail). I can only recive mails but when I delete mails on macbook they are not deleted on iphone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 2:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 5:51 AM

My email isn't working either. I can send, but I'm not receiving anything. I even checked my fetch email settings, put it on manual, but when I refresh my email inbox, nothing happens. I have also restarted my phone numerous times, but nothing seems to fix the issue.

Seems to be an issue with email every time Apple does an update.

84 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2024 5:51 AM in response to wierxiu

My email isn't working either. I can send, but I'm not receiving anything. I even checked my fetch email settings, put it on manual, but when I refresh my email inbox, nothing happens. I have also restarted my phone numerous times, but nothing seems to fix the issue.

Seems to be an issue with email every time Apple does an update.

Sep 18, 2024 12:47 AM in response to daveoj

I don't think this is a certificate / SSL issue. I can see the IMAP logins on target server logs. TLS Handshake and IMAP login is working, but the content of INBOX is not shown or synced to the iOS Device:

Sep 18 08:17:05 server cyrus/imaps[3361]: starttls: TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits new) no authentication
Sep 18 08:17:05 server cyrus/imaps[3361]: login: <host> [<ip>] <username> plaintext+TLS User logged in SESSIONID=<cyrus-3361-1726640225-1>
Sep 18 08:17:05 server cyrus/imaps[3361]: client id: "name" "com.apple.email.maild" "version" "3818.100.11.2.3" "os" "iOS" "os-version" "18.0 (22A3354)" "vendor" "Apple Inc"
Sep 18 08:17:05 server cyrus/imaps[3361]: created decompress buffer of 4102 bytes
Sep 18 08:17:05 server cyrus/imaps[3361]: created compress buffer of 4102 bytes
Sep 18 08:17:05 server cyrus/imaps[3361]: open: user <username> opened INBOX

Sep 19, 2024 2:00 AM in response to wierxiu

I have just talked to Apple support, that tells me that they don't have received that many calls on this issue.

I'm told that the right way to report an issue like this is to, go to apple.com/feedback and sent in a Bug Report.

In Apple support, they don't have access to the developers who can fix these issues. So please everybody sent a Bug report to Apple so they can be aware that we have this mail issue.

It is also the request from Apple support.

Sep 17, 2024 7:39 AM in response to wierxiu

I tried everything, I uninstalled and reinstalled the mail probably 200 times. Each time after some time I get an "account error". But to make it interesting, when I reinstalled the mail, the mail works but only for an hour or max 2 hours and then there is an account error. before installing everything worked... Now I still used the mail on my old phone because it had iOS 17 - the mail worked there. But about 2-3 weeks ago there was an update to iOS 17 and then my mail was cut off. I love iPhones, I have had them for years but now I am so disappointed that I will not buy the iPhone 16 anymore. I will stay with the 15 pro. But only if they finally fix this bug. Because I really need the email for work.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 18, 2024 11:51 PM in response to wierxiu

I tried to do a tcpdump between IOS 18 device and my mail server.

So, Layer TCP (SYN, ACK, etc.), TLS 1.2 (Cert, Cipher, etc.) and IMAP Proto all work. The mail application logs in IMAP and immediately logs out with EOF and back to the beginning. Meanwhile, the spinner runs in the app and the user no longer receives any messages.

So, the Mail APP looks for the contents of the inbox, but the device has already cut off communication with the mail server.

Sep 17, 2024 8:03 AM in response to Ingo2711

@ingo2711 if you are referring to my comment --

I have deleted the account 20 times. I deleted the Apple Mail app from the phone, reinstalled from the App Store. it didn't help.

my comment about 3rd party email -- is a 3rd email app called Email - Edison Mail (from the App Store) I set up my mail accounts in the app and everything works as it should.

BTW - I never had the iOS 18 beta.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/email-edison-mail/id922793622

The issue is with the Apple mail app.

Sep 17, 2024 9:43 AM in response to wierxiu

The biggest issue seems to be with third-party servers using self-signed SSL certificates. Apple is making it harder to establish a handshake with self-signed certificates, but this only affects email. The calendar is working fine so far.

We're using an OS X server with a self-signed certificate, and I can see the error in the server log.

TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:14094416:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert certificate unknown: SSL alert number 46

My accounts in Mail app stopped to sync post update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.