You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Trying to restore ipod touch 3rd Gen on Mac

Hi all, I have rediscovered my old ipod touch (3rd Gen). I was wondering if I could crank it up and potentially put it to use.

It is charged and is displaying the attach to iTunes picture.

I have attached it to my iMac (running Sequoia 15) and it appears in Finder.

It is giving a message:

As you can see, my only option is to Restore iPod.

When I choose Restore iPod I then get this message:

When I click to Restore and Update it disappears from the Finder and doesn't reappear. The screen on the iPod remains unchanged (still prompting to connect to iTunes). So it appears that nothing has happened.

Anyone had similar issues and fixed it?

All help appreciated.

Chief

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 8:01 AM

4 replies

Sep 17, 2024 9:48 AM in response to ChiefLatif

ChiefLatif wrote:

When I click to Restore and Update it disappears from the Finder and doesn't reappear. The screen on the iPod remains unchanged (still prompting to connect to iTunes).

The reason that the iPod says "connect to iTunes" is most likely to be because the iPod does not "know" about Finder, which is a new product, introduced after the 3rd gen iPod was discontinued. I suggest that you restart your computer, restart Finder and then plug the iPod in and see whether it is recognised then.

If the iPod is still not recognised by Finder, check this Apple article: If your computer doesn’t recognise your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK). In that article is a link to Locate and view your iPhone or iPad on your computer - Apple Support which might also be of help.

Sep 18, 2024 8:50 AM in response to the fiend

I tried restarting the Mac, Finder and the iPod. The issue isn't that the Mac doesn't recognise the iPod (it does appear in Finder) its almost as if the iPod doesn't recognise the Mac (as you say, the iPod in its current state doesn't know not to look for iTunes but to look for Finder instead).

I do get this message though - so the Mac appear to be *trying* to download and install software on the iPod.

I had an online chat with Apple support today and they couldn't fix it (they basically tried all the same things I had already tried). Their only suggestion was to take it into an Apple Store. Unfortunately the nearest Apple Store to me is 40 miles away so that won't be happening anytime soon.

Thanks again

Chief

Sep 20, 2024 1:27 AM in response to ChiefLatif

So I solved this in the end.

I used a PC with an old version of iTunes on (from 2018 - not sure of the version number now). I simply plugged in the iPod and iTunes did the rest (Restore and Update).

This got me into setup mode on the iPod. I did the usual (language, network etc).

I then ejected it from the PC and plugged it into my Mac (where my music library resides) and hey-presto, Finder could see it and I was able to sync music to it.

Chief

Trying to restore ipod touch 3rd Gen on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.