You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Is it possible to erase & reload all music to an iPhone?

Is it possible to erase all music (songs, albums, playlists) from an iPhone and then reload all music from a Mac? If so, what is the procedure?

Background - there are two issues with music on my iPhone that I would like to clear up.

1. About 2 dozen songs resync every time I sync my iPhone with my Mac. Always the same songs.
  2. There are a few songs on my iPhone that have developed momentary gaps; they are not replaced when I sync.

Sync does not cure either problem, so I am thinking that a wipe & reload may be the only thing to try. But I have not found any way to do that.

iPhone SE 2nd Gen, iOS 17.6.1

iMac 27" 2019 i9, macOS Monterey 12.7.6

iPhone SE (2nd generation)

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 1:51 PM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2024 3:27 PM in response to MartinR

Well, the answer is that it's sort of possible, not entirely possible, and it's definitely not straightforward.

It didn't work out the way I had hoped ... but in the end I was able to recover.

After poking around my iPhone the only option that appeared to delete all songs was in General > iPhone Storage > Synced Media > Music > All Songs > Edit > Select All > Delete. OK, so I did it.

Oops, well, it deleted all songs that I had imported from CDs over the years ... but it didn't delete any songs that I had purchased via iTunes/Music ... and it left all my playlists intact on the iPhone (all now blank). This is NOT what I wanted. And now, how would I recover?

As I dug into this, everything I found online indicated that if I resynced my iPhone with my Mac, all the songs I had just deleted from the iPhone would in turn be deleted from my Mac! All references I found were to "Apple Music" mentioning "Sync Library" ... and they were totally confusing ... because Apple Music is 1) a service that I DO NOT subscribe to, 2) a Mac app that I DO use and 3) an iOS app that I ALSO use. So, when I sync my iPhone music with my Mac, am I doing "Sync Library" or not?? I did not want to risk erasing all the songs from my Mac.

Eventually, because on my Mac, next to the tickbox under Finder > Music (when an iPhone is connected) it says "Sync music onto <iPhone name>" ... note the word "onto" ... which appears to indicate a one-way transfer (FROM Mac TO iPhone), not two-way sync.

So I took a chance and did the following:

1. I made a backup copy of my entire /Music folder on an external drive just in case things didn't work out the way I hoped they would.
  2. I used the Finder to do a normal sync between my Mac & iPhone including sync'ing music.

Sigh of relief ... all my songs got copied back to the iPhone without disturbing any songs on my Mac. And they were copied back into the correct playlists. The only thing I lost in the process was all the album artwork on my iPhone (it's still on my Mac.)

This "sort of" accomplished what I set out to do, which was to erase & reload all the songs on my iPhone. But it wasn't easy and it was certainly filled with anxiety.

Is it possible to erase & reload all music to an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.