You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Do I need VPN on my new mini

I’ve heard that with Mac you don’t need 3rd party von or virus software as it’s built in.

is this true

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 9:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 1:18 AM

There are thousands of people out there who are eager to get your money by convincing you that you need this, that or the other piece of security that they can provide.

They make fortunes by conning gullible users into buying something they don't need.

The Mac is complete in itself. It does not need "cleaners", anti-virus software or VPNs (unless you want to hide something from the authorities!).

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2024 1:18 AM in response to Ccid05

There are thousands of people out there who are eager to get your money by convincing you that you need this, that or the other piece of security that they can provide.

They make fortunes by conning gullible users into buying something they don't need.

The Mac is complete in itself. It does not need "cleaners", anti-virus software or VPNs (unless you want to hide something from the authorities!).

Sep 18, 2024 8:41 PM in response to Ccid05

As orhers pointed, a VPN is either for work or for school.

On the other side, you probably mean commercial VPNs for which you want privacy, OR fool the system so you could, for example, watch netflix stuff not available in your country, take advantage of airline tickets as if you were buying “from the other side”, or accessing some banking or services in your country (requiring you to be there) while you’re abroad. Then yes, in such cases, a vpn can serve such purposes, in my view not without risks. While this can alleviate some frustrations, you want to remain legal.

Do I need VPN on my new mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.