You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

After migrating to new Sequoia version, the dock cannot be moved to another monitor

After migrating to new Sequoia version, the dock bar cannot be moved to another monitor.

I am using the usual "move the Dock to a different display by moving your cursor to that display, and then moving the cursor as far down" but doesnt work.

I tried setting the monitor as primary but the dock always stays in the laptop monitor.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 2:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 9:20 AM

To avoid confusion and since they never replied, I'll reply since I'm have the same issue and believe I know what they are talking about. Plus this might help others for a temporary solution until Apple figures out a fix. After updating to Sequoia last night, the issue started for me.

Prior to updating to Sequoia, in Sonoma or whichever prior iOS people had, we had our secondary and Third monitors positioned above the Macbook in the "arrange display" in display settings (what he's showing in that diagram). What he's pointing to isn't the seem, it's where the dock would appear if you hovered over that section with the cursor (it won't move to both, just which ever you are hovering over at the time). With the update to Sequoia, the dock no longer moves if you have the monitors arranged above the Macbook in "Arrange Display". That's the main issue.

The only solution I have found is to put the monitors side by side and then the dock will move between monitors, which works but not how my monitors are positioned. So that's where the frustration lies since it worked perfectly before but now awkward and not intuitive.

So it's definitely a bug that needs to be addressed.

60 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2024 9:20 AM in response to Barney-15E

To avoid confusion and since they never replied, I'll reply since I'm have the same issue and believe I know what they are talking about. Plus this might help others for a temporary solution until Apple figures out a fix. After updating to Sequoia last night, the issue started for me.

Prior to updating to Sequoia, in Sonoma or whichever prior iOS people had, we had our secondary and Third monitors positioned above the Macbook in the "arrange display" in display settings (what he's showing in that diagram). What he's pointing to isn't the seem, it's where the dock would appear if you hovered over that section with the cursor (it won't move to both, just which ever you are hovering over at the time). With the update to Sequoia, the dock no longer moves if you have the monitors arranged above the Macbook in "Arrange Display". That's the main issue.

The only solution I have found is to put the monitors side by side and then the dock will move between monitors, which works but not how my monitors are positioned. So that's where the frustration lies since it worked perfectly before but now awkward and not intuitive.

So it's definitely a bug that needs to be addressed.

Oct 11, 2024 1:00 AM in response to Barney-15E

Sorry Barney but you're just plain wrong. This has worked for as long as I can remember (I've had a Mac for about 15 years) as described by others. It's just broken in Sequoia. Not sure why you think we'd overshoot the bar at the bottom of the screen, I think everyone using a computer nowadays can navigate using a mouse very accurately. Who wants to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the lowest monitor to open an app? Apple just need to fix it and give users back what they're used to and want.

Sep 23, 2024 11:38 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have for several years had a 4K screen physically positioned and in settings arranged immediately and centrally above my laptop screen. My large screen 23.5" wide and is as high as its stand will allow, and the laptop sits beneath it and is 13.5" wide, so there's 5" on either side of the top screen where the pointer will not descend.

Prior to Sequoia, I have been able - as described variously above - to position my mouse to one or other of the 5" 'shoulders' of the upper screen and then slide the pointer downwards, with the result that the pointer stays on the upper screen, but the dock shifts to the top screen, above the menu bar of the built-in screen, so I could move up from the lower screen's menu bar onto the dock on the upper screen. This was on both my ARM and my Intel Mac.

Far from having 'never been possible', it has been very ergonomic - reducing the distance my pointer has to travel from the multiplicity of windows I have open across a large area, reducing the distraction from my focus of interest, improving my workflow, and has never resulted in my having to 'play whack-a-mole'. Most of us don't live on 512x342 pixel screens any more, so there are various other decisions made back then which are also probably due for a bit of different thinking - mix the dock into launchpad, context-sensitive application menu, etc.

Sep 30, 2024 5:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I can kind of understand the logic behind what you're saying, but up until Sequoia the dock has absolutely been able to sit on the 'seam' between displays and overshooting it has never been an issue - I've been using it in this way for at least a decade now, if not longer. It just seems like an odd piece of functionality for Apple to remove, but it isn't the first and won't be the last, I'm sure.

Regarding your cmd+tab comment, yes I use both hands to type, but it's difficult to use a key combination that requires your left hand when you're holding a WACOM stylus in your left hand (hence noting that I use a WACOM and am left handed). There's no tab button on the right hand side of my keyboard for my 'spare' hand to utilise.

For those who have managed to add the 'gap' between displays, how have you achieved this? My displays want to sit flush with each other when arranging them - is this something that is only possible if using three displays, rather than just two?

Sep 18, 2024 5:55 AM in response to Chriz1984

Chriz1984 wrote:

Can confirm. When the external display is aligned above the macbook, its not possible to move the dock there. Only if the external display is left, right or at the bottom. Seems to be a bug.

It may seem that way to you, but it’s not. The Dock is designed to be anchored, not floating in space where you can overshoot the target.

Oct 11, 2024 5:04 AM in response to adiebaker

Sorry Barney but you're just plain wrong. This has worked for as long as I can remember (I've had a Mac for about 15 years) as described by others. It's just broken in Sequoia.

It may have worked in some intervening macOS versions, but when "Displays have separate spaces" was created by Apple, you could not put the Dock on the seam between two displays. You still cannot put the Dock on a vertical seam between two displays. In searching the evolution, eventually, Apple did make what you want work. I would have never known because my Dock has always been on the side of the screen and as noted, it has never been possible to put it on a vertical seam.

But, as has been the norm for quite some time, things that were "fixed" in one macOS tends to get "broken" about every other macOS release. It's almost as if the new macOS developers start from the preceding macOS, not the current macOS. Or, they just write everything from scratch and fail to incorporate the previous modifications.

Not sure why you think we'd overshoot the bar at the bottom of the screen, I think everyone using a computer nowadays can navigate using a mouse very accurately.

Well, Apple certainly thinks they can't. That's why the menu bar is at the top of the screen. I'll leave that research to you. You have to go way back to the '80's and the origins of the Macintosh.

Who wants to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the lowest monitor to open an app?

I don't know why anyone would reach for the mouse to open an app. Just type cmd-space, type a couple of letters, and hit return. The Dock is just something to make Windows user comfortable much like the Launchpad makes iOS users comfortable. Both are unnecessary wastes of space. There are some useful features in the Dock, like dragging a file to Mail to create an attachment and opening files with the non-default App, but that's not worth the effort. My Dock looks like this so I can make it the least obtrusive as possible:

Learn to live without the Windows Woobie.

Sep 18, 2024 7:03 AM in response to Chriz1984

Chriz1984 wrote:

Okay, correction. It worked before the update from Sonoma to Sequoia. I haven't changed my setup in over a year. After the update it no longer worked.

Many others have the exact same problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/1fidqex/dock_behaviour_change_in_sequoia_with/

It has never been any different than I described since the introduction of the Dock. From your link, Iknappster reported the not bug in El Capitan. It is designed how it is designed and has always been designed like that.

If you and anyone else managed to make it happen, that was a bug, or you had installed some third-party system modification that allowed it. That software may no longer work under Sequoia and you need to update that software.

After migrating to new Sequoia version, the dock cannot be moved to another monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.