You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

HomePods to AirPort Express audio distortion with some live streams after OS 18.0 update.

I just updated to iOS 18 and HomePod Software 18 yesterday and have been experiencing some audio distortion coming from the amps being run by my 2 Airport Expresses (the audio from my HomePod is clear). What is odd is that it only happens with some live internet radio streams (KCRW) but not others (KMDH).

The distortion is a static/clicking sound that is similar to what you'd get with dirty contacts with an input cable or dirty pots on a receiver. Streaming directly from my iPhone to either of the Expresses has crystal clear audio and since it works with some online radio streams, I know it's not the stereo receivers. It's almost like the codec they use for some online radio streams has been broken by the HomePod Software 18.

I've rebooted everything multiple times and no change. I know this is a fairly uncommon usage these days but I'd really like to not have to give up my Airport Expresses due to a newly introduced glitch.

Thanks!

HomePod mini, 18

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 4:35 PM

4 replies

HomePods to AirPort Express audio distortion with some live streams after OS 18.0 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.