You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac Sequoia, Screen Flickering every few minutes

Hello, I currently have a m1 macbook 2020, everything else on my mac is working except that my wallpaper keeps flickering every few minutes.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 18, 2024 5:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 3:00 AM

Thanks for the note. But mine, official 15.0.1, still definitely have the screen flickering issue (on a dark grey solid color background).

57 replies

Sep 30, 2024 4:27 AM in response to fixthisforkuromi

It's quite embarrassing. I see number of similar reports since June 2024. How is it possible that it hasn't been fixed?

I'm experiencing this issue on a Mac Mini M2 through HDMI, and I'm not using the Mendeley web importer. It started happening just after I upgraded system, with custom wallpaper, but it's also occurring with the default Sequoia wallpaper and even with a solid background.

Oct 1, 2024 1:22 PM in response to fixthisforkuromi

Same or similar issue here.

I use a mac mini m1 8GB 256GB storage with the Utah Evening wallpaper/screensaver for work. It's an amazing computer.

I've noticed after installing Sonoma that I'm periodically seeing the screen (Apple Thunderbolt w/Apple Thunderbolt dongle) flash in the background to reveal a grey base wallpaper for a moment or two.It is like a flicker. It's annoying as prior to this latest OS update, this issue was not occurring.

Personally, I think it's the Dynamic wallpaper that's the culprit. If I switch to a regular image wallpaper, the issue does not persist. However I like the Utah evening wallpaper/screensaver combo, lol...so I'm stuck.

Perhaps a clean install...ugh...

Coincidentally, I had a MacBook Air M1 8GB memory & 256GB disk. When macOS Sonoma was installed on this previously fast performing machine, AND while using any of the Dynamic wallpapers...this too creates a grey screen issue that I only notice when fiirst logging in to the system. It is as if the system is choking for resources.

This simply shouldn't be happening. If the latest OS releases were fully optimized to work with our machines this thread wouldn't exist. Again, personally, I doubt this issue has anything to do with any other software other than Apples.

Sep 30, 2024 4:04 AM in response to fixthisforkuromi

Mine's doing similar where the display connected to a Mac Mini 2018 via HDMI keeps going blank at random times. It's as if the display loses the signal from the Mac Mini 2018 or is being sent a sleep signal. The display power is constant and the display then cycles through all its other inputs (which have nothing connected to them) before getting back to the Mac Mini 2018 HDMI input and discovering the signal again and showing the desktop.

Mac Sequoia, Screen Flickering every few minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.