You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

iOS 18 bricked iPad 7th Generation

My mother in law's iPad was (unbeknownst to me) set up for automatic updates and the moment iOS 18 was installed it bricked. Flashing boot loop. No powering on / off combinations worked, and trying to update it from my Mac using either update or restore results in the Mac crashing out of the process. So, unable to reinstall iOS 18 and unable to restore factory settings.

Now what? Apple literally killed this previously perfectly working iPad with iOS 18. Does this means Apple are forcing people to buy new iPads? My mother in law certainly can't afford a new one right now. A lifetime of Apple products and I've never seen anything THIS extreme.

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 2:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 10:00 AM

You got a progress bar? Mine never makes it that far. Mac gets ready to update iPad then crash quits before its even started. Doesn’t even come up with a crash dialogue. Meanwhile iPad just sits there either flashing the Apple logo or with the cable update screen.

12 replies

Oct 13, 2024 8:04 PM in response to BevvyB

Apple bricked my iPhone 6S back when iPhone 7 was coming out so I should have known better. My perfectly good iPad is bricked now. I am having the same issues as your mother-in-law's and I am broke right now from having to miss work over medical issues. Guess I am going back to paper. I will try again in a month to see if they fix it because sometimes they do with ENOUGH complaints. Apple is too costly to have issues like this, I am so mad and stayed up until 2am trying every method of restoration I can find. Apple rep this morning said I have to take it into the Apple store or Best Buy. Again, I cannot afford this. 😢

I wish I had a solution to offer. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and I feel your pain. If I buy another iPad, it WILL NOT be new. I will buy pre-owned and not give Apple another dime.

Sep 23, 2024 8:12 AM in response to PepperoniDogFart

PepperoniDogFart wrote:

My seventh generation ipad got bricked, too. I had about 9 gb of free space on it, plugged it in to my pc running windows 11 with apple devices running.  apple devices downloaded the update, took control of the ipad, on screen the ipad showed a black apple on a white background with a status line underneath of it. The status message on apple devices said upgrading firmware. Then after about 30 or 45 minutes apple devices status message changed to upgrading software or maybe it was installing software - at this point the black apple against the white background had a status line underneath of it that was about 1/4 of the way across and this is where it sat at for 5 hours until I eventually unplugged it. Now I can't shut it off, I can't hard reset it, I can't put it into recovery... it's still black apple on white background with a status line a quarter of the way across. And it responds to absolutely, nothing.

If you interrupted the update process while the new iPadOS version was being "flashed", you may have corrupted the device.

Start here:

Apple logo with progress bar after updating or restoring iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may need to seek assistance from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from [other] Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 23, 2024 10:05 AM in response to BevvyB

BevvyB wrote:

You got a progress bar? Mine never makes it that far. Mac gets ready to update iPad then crash quits before its even started. Doesn’t even come up with a crash dialogue. Meanwhile iPad just sits there either flashing the Apple logo or with the cable update screen.

Start by connecting your iPad to its Power Adapter and allow the iPad to charge for at least an hour - or preferably overnight. This step is advised as a battery with very low charge, or is failing, may produce symptoms that emulate a boot loop.

If the problem fails to stabilise, whilst still connected to the Power Adapter, attempt a forced restart of the iPad:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

If your iPad is stuck is actually stuck in a boot-loop, you’ll need to resolve this specific issue - which may entail “restoring” the most recent version of iPadOS to the iPad. This support page outlines restoration of an iPad to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Oct 13, 2024 8:13 PM in response to PepperoniDogFart

Almost exactly what happened with mine. I also used my Win 11 PC & Apple Devices app to do this. After it says the firmware update happens, the line under the Apple logo goes half ways and it returns an unknown error, specifically, "The iPad "iPad" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (10). 0684.0000" [OK]

I tried to change the USB A cable for USB C and tried again. I tried to use a hotspot, and tried again. I tried to use my macbook, and tried again. I even tried iTunes on my Win 11 pc with an Apple Rep and all the same exact result.

I was up until 2 am trying to fix this because I am FLAT BROKE. I cannot get someone to fix it nor can I buy a new one. I am stuck. 😢

Oct 13, 2024 8:18 PM in response to LotusPilot

"Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist."

QUESTION: My iPad is not covered under Apple Care or Warranty.

CAN THEY FIX IT WITH NO COST??

because I am flat broke. I cannot afford repairs or another iPad over Apple's incompetence.

I would say most of 7th gen iPad users don't have the money either. That's why we are using old iPads and never upgraded.

Oct 18, 2024 3:41 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

PepperoniDogFart wrote:

...this is where it sat at for 5 hours until I eventually unplugged it. 

If you interrupted the update process while the new iPadOS version was being "flashed", you may have corrupted the device.

Start here:
Apple logo with progress bar after updating or restoring iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may need to seek assistance from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from [other] Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:
https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Thanks very much for taking the time to read my post and reply with the links.  I will definitely explore those options when I get the chance.

As to your first point, anything that takes 5 hours, whether it's an elderly pervert donning a trench coat in a public park, or an ios update, defies the definition of "flash." Something had gone terribly wrong, in more ways than one, long before I unplugged the ipad.

Sep 23, 2024 7:49 AM in response to BevvyB

My seventh generation ipad got bricked, too. I had about 9 gb of free space on it, plugged it in to my pc running windows 11 with apple devices running.  apple devices downloaded the update, took control of the ipad, on screen the ipad showed a black apple on a white background with a status line underneath of it. The status message on apple devices said upgrading firmware. Then after about 30 or 45 minutes apple devices status message changed to upgrading software or maybe it was installing software - at this point the black apple against the white background had a status line underneath of it that was about 1/4 of the way across and this is where it sat at for 5 hours until I eventually unplugged it. Now I can't shut it off, I can't hard reset it, I can't put it into recovery... it's still black apple on white background with a status line a quarter of the way across. And it responds to absolutely, nothing.

iOS 18 bricked iPad 7th Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.