You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Syncing Mac Mini and Mackbook Air.

I have a Mac Mini and a Mackbook Air. My Mini is my primary tool. My Air is for traveling. I would love it if every time I opened my Air it looked exactly the same as my Mini. So whatever changes I make to my desktop view, files, etc, on my Mini will automatically update with my Air when I open it.

All my searches include mirroring and that's just not what I'm looking for.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2024 9:16 AM

It's poorly worded, but what will happen is, the first Mac you turn on the option on, will be the master so to speak.

The second Mac you turn it on, on, will have its documents and files moved to sub folders with its name in iCloud Drive you can access, but will use the main Documents and Desktop folders from the first Mac from that point on.

Basically anything on the second Mac gets separated out so you can then manually move it if you need it on both Macs.

Anything in the Desktop and documents folders of the first Mac will be visible on the second Mac directly as normal once the option is turned on and will sync across seamlessly.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2024 9:16 AM in response to QuantumJourney

It's poorly worded, but what will happen is, the first Mac you turn on the option on, will be the master so to speak.

The second Mac you turn it on, on, will have its documents and files moved to sub folders with its name in iCloud Drive you can access, but will use the main Documents and Desktop folders from the first Mac from that point on.

Basically anything on the second Mac gets separated out so you can then manually move it if you need it on both Macs.

Anything in the Desktop and documents folders of the first Mac will be visible on the second Mac directly as normal once the option is turned on and will sync across seamlessly.

Sep 19, 2024 8:56 AM in response to QuantumJourney

See the Desktop & Documents option for iCloud Drive.

click here ➜ Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

When you store your Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud Drive, you can access files from your Mac on all your devices. That means you can start a document on your Desktop, then work on it later from your iPhone or iPad and on iCloud.com. Everything automatically stays up to date everywhere.

Syncing Mac Mini and Mackbook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.