You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Music from old iPod to Apple laptop

I currently have very old ipod ( looks like an iPhone) and a HP laptop which won’t download upgrade to iTunes and I need music for my job.

If I buy an Apple laptop is it possible to transfer all music from iPod to laptop? I don’t currently have all my music on iTunes because the majority of it was on a previous laptop which crashed and burned!

can anyone advise please?

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 4:10 AM

1 reply

Sep 21, 2024 12:37 AM in response to Tillywb

Hi Tillywb

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Coimmunity!

Am no iPod expert, yet your question to the community deserves some response.

Re: "Music from old iPod to Apple laptop:

Wondering which iPod you have: See how to: Identify your iPod model - Apple Support

and

You can see if there is a manual for your iPod available to help you:

iPod Manuals and Downloads - Apple Support

Re: If I buy an Apple laptop is it possible to transfer all music from iPod to laptop?" I don’t currently have all my music on iTunes because the majority of it was on a previous laptop which crashed and burned!

We don't know which iOS (operating service) version is installed on the old iPod, or whether the music is files of your own music you have created, iTunes purchases you downloaded, or music from CD's you have stored, etc.,

so the music format is not known. Hard to say precisely what is possible, (hence the link to the manuals above)..

Eg: In this article (link below) you can choose between iOS12, 13, 14 or 15 at the top for ways to transfer files:

Transfer files between iPod touch and your computer - Apple Support

or

For iOS 13, 14, 15 You can Airdrop items from an iPod to a Mac Computer:

See how to: Use AirDrop on iPod touch to send items to nearby devices - Apple Support

NB: also says:

"To send an item using a method other than AirDrop, choose the method—for example, Messages or Mail—from the row of sharing options (options vary by app)".

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "I currently have very old ipod ( looks like an iPhone) and a HP laptop which won’t download upgrade to iTunes and I need music for my job".

Gheck if you're signed in to iTunes for Windows on the HP laptop

You may be able to just: Redownload some, or all, of any previous music purchases on the HP laptop

(NB: Previous purchases may be unavailable if they’re no longer in the iTunes Store.)::

View your purchase history for the App Store and other Apple media services - Apple Support

and

How to: Download previous iTunes purchases on PC - Apple Support

Else: Can you email or message or "share" some of the music to your HP laptop.

There's a third-party (non-Apple) article online that claims to show: "How to Transfer Music From an Old iPod to Your Computer or iPhone". Am unable to test it out with the same equipment you have, so it may or may not be accurate in your case: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/transfer-music-ipod-computer/

All the best :-)

Music from old iPod to Apple laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.