You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iMac Pro freezes when screen mirroring on Apple Vision Pro

I have an 2017 iMac Pro with 32gb ram. I recently purchased the Apple Vision Pro so I can mirror the screen. Trouble is, after about 5-10 minutes the iMac freezes (not crashed) the AVP still works and can access apps and the iMac still works fine once I move the mouse but the mirrored screen freezes. I have to disconnect the session and then reconnect and same thing happens between 5-10 minutes it freezes again. Had anyone else experienced this?

iMac Pro, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 8:42 AM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2024 4:39 PM in response to Dallen_Frutchey

I have a 16-inch, Nov 2023 MacBook Pro. I've run every version of macOS up to version 15.1, as well as nearly every version of visionOS up to version 2.1. At some point in the last few months the screen mirroring stopped working smoothly and now continually pauses from time to time. Similar to how @Paulie54 has described, though I find that the session can usually recover on its own after some time. I have not seen any improvement in all the OS versions tried. 

Given that I have the latest version of both OSs as of October 9, 2024, the highest performing MacBook Pro currently available, and the desktop mirroring feature previously worked without issue I can conclude that a failure to upgrade the OS or the hardware is the root cause. I can also confirm that my laptop is plugged in and turned on, and that both my laptop and my Vision Pro seems to work fine in all other respects, so it seems unlikely that generic trouble shooting advice will be helpful. 

Perhaps someone with specific information on this issue will be able to provide more useful guidance

iMac Pro freezes when screen mirroring on Apple Vision Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.