You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Since updating to iOS 18, lyrics tagged with local files no longer appear in lyrics tab on Apple Music

Context: I have a music library on my computer where I can tailor the metadata to my liking. For years now, I've used Apple Music to play most of this music library by converting the necessary files on my computer into .m4a for phone storage conservation, then using iTunes to drag the .m4a files onto my phone. I've tinkered with the metadata of my music library to where I'm capable of adding release date information, copyright information, and of course lyrics to better personalize my music library on my phone.

Now, as the title suggests, ever since I updated to iOS 18 about 2 days ago, I've had an issue where the lyrics I tag with my files no longer appear in the lyrics tab in Apple Music. The lyrics button is greyed out for files I know have lyrical content tagged to them. My process for tagging has not changed before and after the software update; my local files still have all their lyrics in the "UNSYNCEDLYRICS" tag field. Whatever was in the UNSYNCEDLYRICS or even LYRICS tag field read just fine in the lyrics tab in Apple Music before upgrading to iOS 18. I'm hoping this is just a mere bug and not a new sneaky restriction by Apple because even if this issue sounds persnickety, it is still quite inconveniencing. I don't expect a hasty resolution to this problem because I do understand iOS 18 just released about 5 days ago and bugs happen, but I do hope this generates some discussion with those familiar with metadata and Apple Music to perhaps get as close to resolution as possible.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 4:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 5:35 AM

Same here. All the MP3s on my Windows PC have lyrics lovingly embedded in the UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag, but since upgrading to iOS 18, when I upload to my iPhone 13 via iTunes, the lyrics tab is blank.

There is a longstanding (years old) bug that has prevented me from transferring multiple MP3s with lyrics via Wi-Fi. The lyrics do not display unless I copy and paste one-by-one. With iOS 18, that has stopped working as well.

Apple, please fix!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2024 5:35 AM in response to humteetum

Same here. All the MP3s on my Windows PC have lyrics lovingly embedded in the UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag, but since upgrading to iOS 18, when I upload to my iPhone 13 via iTunes, the lyrics tab is blank.

There is a longstanding (years old) bug that has prevented me from transferring multiple MP3s with lyrics via Wi-Fi. The lyrics do not display unless I copy and paste one-by-one. With iOS 18, that has stopped working as well.

Apple, please fix!

Oct 6, 2024 2:05 AM in response to humteetum

Yup. Unfortunately no surprise. It's been years already for me. Apple only cares about music purchased through their ecosystem. Once you check the box "Manually manage music and videos" and upload from your private collection, Apple has no incentive to help (and we're probably in the minority). Okay, let's continue living in hope...

Since updating to iOS 18, lyrics tagged with local files no longer appear in lyrics tab on Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.