You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 photos app error attempting to save portrait photo with definition or noise reduction edits

Hardware: iPhone 16 Pro Max 1TB

Software: iOS 18, Photos app, Portrait Mode photo taken with rear camera

Editing the photo using ƒ, lighting mode (Studio/Normal etc.), automatic adjustments, cropping, are all working fine. Any edit made to Adjust->Definition (even only "1") results in a long spinning wheel then a dialog "There was an error saving this photo. Please try again later." Exact same result if Adjust->Noise Reduction is edited at all (again, any value from 1..100). Adjust->Sharpness does not trigger this error.

Pretty sure this is actually a bug in Photos, but thought I'd run it through community thoughts before trying to open what I know will be an ignored radar. Any ideas about what might be going on? I have iCloud Photos turned off (default setting for me, I don't use iCloud Photos).

iPhone 16 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 21, 2024 7:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 2:25 PM

I am getting the same error and it’s frustrating !! I left noise reduction to 0 and still spinning and giving that error -

5 replies

Sep 24, 2024 12:02 PM in response to THEbdw

This has been happening to me as well since I did the first (iOS 18) update after purchasing the iPhone 16 Pro. It is driving me crazy! I can use the "copy edits" feature to copy the photo-work I've done, but I have to go in and paste the edits, recrop, etc. when I give up. I've never been able to keep resaving and it eventually "take" once I get the error.

Oct 17, 2024 4:01 PM in response to steve chemist

I can crop a photo and rotate but in portrait mode when I start making changes I get the error.

Resetting the phone had no effect. Turning off WiFi no effect. Turning off iCloud had no effect.

After trial and error saving EVERY change singly, I found that DEFINITION triggered the problem.

This may not singly be the culprit as it could be more complex reaction of multiple settings with DEFINITION.

iOS 18 photos app error attempting to save portrait photo with definition or noise reduction edits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.