You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Since tvOS 18 update Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD output only stereo despite 5.1 selected

The stereo output exists for premium streaming apps (Max, Prime Video, Paramount+). It appears that only Home Sharing still plays 5.1 audio. Audio output for both Apple TVs has always been set to Format Change On, Dolby Digital 5.1, but setting to Auto doesn't provide a remedy. A week ago (before the update), all programs for which 5.1 was available played 5.1 output. Have tried force-quitting apps, restarting Apple TVs, deleting and reinstalling apps. No difference. Any idea when this will be fixed, Apple?

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Sep 22, 2024 12:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 4:40 AM

As a developer I have found that the SDK API function AudioConverterFillComplexBuffer has stopped working for EAC3 in tvOS 18. This means it is not decoding EAC3 streams that use this API. The same function worked correctly on tvOS 17, and continues to work correctly on macOS.

Perhaps this is related, perhaps it isn't.

I've reported this via the developer Feedback Assistant.

36 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2024 4:40 AM in response to llee

As a developer I have found that the SDK API function AudioConverterFillComplexBuffer has stopped working for EAC3 in tvOS 18. This means it is not decoding EAC3 streams that use this API. The same function worked correctly on tvOS 17, and continues to work correctly on macOS.

Perhaps this is related, perhaps it isn't.

I've reported this via the developer Feedback Assistant.

Sep 30, 2024 8:44 PM in response to llee

This happened to me as well! I tried everything from turning off my ATV, factory reset, unplugged and plugged both power and HDMI, etc. YouTube TV works fine with DD 5.1 PCM but not Netflix, Paramount+, ATV+. I tried with my PS5 and all streaming services flawlessly switch to DD 5.1 PCM.

I spoke with Apple Support which escalated to the engineering team. The guy mentioned that they've had multiple reports of the same issue. I had to send in a video, photo of my settings and system diagnostics to Apple Support. He's going to get back to me by Wednesday with an answer, hopefully.

Sep 25, 2024 4:45 PM in response to TrevorPastrami

Here's what I sent to Apple TV Feedback today:

The "Auto" setting for Audio Format has never allowed me to receive multichannel audio for my sound system. Before tvOS 18.0, if I enabled Change Format and chose "New Format: Dolby Digital 5.1", multichannel audio was received for my sound system. Since 18.0, when I enable Change Format and choose "New Format: Dolby Digital 5.1", multichannel audio is not received.

Another way of stating the problem is that I believe tvOS engineers created a back door for audio systems that can use multichannel audio, but which are not recognized as such by the Apple TV. Using that back door has always been the only way I could receive multichannel audio for my sound system. A simplified summary of the back door is the "Change Format" option. This worked before 18.0, but now it doesn't. I'm convinced that it's this back door, the "Change Format" option, that is broken.

Sep 22, 2024 12:49 PM in response to llee

I’m having the exact same issue, just wanted to stick some 💩 on while I relax after putting my son to bed, no visual at all on any streaming apps just sound and then the whole lot shuts off and tells me there’s an issue with the hdmi cables but I’ve tried 4 cables and gone into settings to run the hdmi checks which were all fine too

Sep 28, 2024 1:05 PM in response to Windh

same here, the setting i used forever was to force 5.1 but with tvos18 the apple app audio streams only in stereo.

interresting is that when using the remote play app (don’t know the real name, the app the lets you stream video from your home network, in this case a mac mini) the video’s are in 5.1, so it’s not a hardware connection problem

Oct 1, 2024 11:48 AM in response to llee

I don't know - it may be that what I am seeing is another symptom of the issue you guys are seeing rather than the cause. Or it may be completely unrelated. But there are enough similarities for me to smell a rat.

All I know is that in the streaming app I am developing I have found that before upgrading to tvOS 18 a DD+ 5.1 stream was being decoded perfectly fine but post tvOS 18 the decoder just stops without any errors. In technical terms, the decoder is meant to ask for more data to decode; it asks for the first packet, which I give it, but never asks for any more after that, so no output data is ever produced. This has nothing to do with HDMI or anything else, at this stage it simply doesn't decode the data to PCM, so it never gets as far as sending it to the TV (or re-encoding as Dolby MAT, or whatever Apple TV does these days).

It's the same story on iOS 18, by the way. However, latest macOS (Sequoia) continues to decode the same stream, with the same code just fine.

As I say, I've logged it in the developer feedback section, so let's see.

Since tvOS 18 update Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD output only stereo despite 5.1 selected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.