You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

upgrading from old mac to new mac

I am currently using a mac mini purchased in 2016 and, as it is no longer compatible with the latest version of IOS (18) i have now purchased a brand new mac mini

I back up my old mac mini using time machine so am wondering what is the procedure for installing data and aps from my old mac to my new one once it arrives.

thanks

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 4:33 AM

2 replies

Sep 23, 2024 5:19 AM in response to johnsig

Assuming that you have enough storage space on the new Mac mini, you can connect the Time Machine backup drive to the new Mac mini and ask Migration Assistant to migrate from it.

Note that while the Mac mini (Late 2014) originally shipped with Yosemite, you can upgrade it as far as Monterey. That should be sufficient to manage an iPhone or iPad running iOS 18 or iPadOS 18 … even though Monterey is no longer one of the "most recent three" versions of macOS supported by vendors such as Microsoft and Adobe.

If you are still running Mojave or earlier on the old Mac mini, you may be using some 32-bit Intel applications that won't be able to run on the new Mac mini. The new Mac mini should be able to run many 64-bit Intel applications with the help of Rosetta 2 translation. (There will be a delay the first time that you need to run an Intel application, while the Mac translates it, but the Mac will save the translation, so that subsequent launches are faster.)

upgrading from old mac to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.