You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

preserving oldies but goodies music

I have an old (2008) MacBook that has 1,000 songs. I have been wanting to direct the output to another computer sound system (Altec-Lansing ACS33 model). Although the Mac recognizes it (when I plug the jack into the earphone port, the message I get is that the "device has no output control". Is there either a "go around" solution, a used computer sound system or should I "toss" the MacBook? Thanks for your help!

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 6:37 AM

2 replies

Sep 24, 2024 6:27 PM in response to latitudeband

One thread says this is normal for AirPlay destinations. Because your Altec-Lansing ACS33 speakers are connected directly to your MacBook, I don't think this thread applies here.

The selected device has no output controls - Apple Community

One person suggested selecting your Mac's internal microphone as the preferred input when you see the message.

//SOLVED\\ The selected device has no out… - Apple Community

It is not clear why this would work, but apparently, for that person, it did.

Another possibility might be to get a USB sound card – if you can find one that's compatible with your Mac – to see if the Mac offers volume controls when you plug the Altec-Lansing ACS33 speakers into the USB sound card.

preserving oldies but goodies music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.