You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Secure notes on Keychain

I'm unable to create a new secure note on keychain? Has it been discontinued?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 11:24 AM

8 replies

Sep 24, 2024 9:09 AM in response to Parshv273

The Keychain Access User Guide for macOS 15 Sequoia specifically points to using Notes app for secure notes, where previous versions referenced the secure notes feature within Keychain Access app:

Store confidential information securely using Notes on Mac - Apple Support

Password app also uses a different and more secure storage, and which apparently doesn't include a generic text note feature.

Per Apple, the file-based keychains are fading away, with a migration to the data protection keychain underway. (Which can use biometrics and the secure enclave, where the file-based keychains cannot.)

And some of us are quite possibly also migrating our certificates, and those quite possibly into MDM profiles.

Related: TN3137: On Mac keychain APIs and implementations | Apple Developer Documentation

TN3137 contains the following statement: "The file-based keychain is on the road to deprecation. It’s not officially deprecated, but some of the APIs surrounding it are. For example, SecKeychainCreate was deprecated in the macOS 12 SDK. Moreover, new features, like iCloud Keychain, require the data protection keychain."

Keychain Access app is the path into the file-based keychains.

Password app is the path into the newer (and more secure) keychains.

Got comments or suggestions? Log your feedback with Apple either via Feedback Assistant for third-party developers, or for non-developers via Apple Product Feedback.

Sep 26, 2024 9:42 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks, that's really useful. One slightly bizarre thing is that when I follow the link to the Apple Support page you added (and I'd been to it myself it turned out) there isn't a Sequoia choice on the drop down. I can't yet see the Support page but the other stuff you put on here is really helpful and Im starting to migrate all the Keychain notes to Notes

Secure notes on Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.