You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to control messages being read aloud

Since I installed iOS 18 and switched to iPhone 16 Pro, I have been hearing messages aloud through my MFi hearing aids.

I don't think I ever turned this feature on, and I would like to know how to turn it on and off.

It seems that the messages are read to me only when the Messages app is not open on the iPhone or the Mac.

I don't know if this is a feature of Messages, Accessibility, Notifications or Hearing Aids support. Can anyone clarify what this feature is and where I can find controls for it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Sep 23, 2024 12:13 PM

1 reply

Sep 23, 2024 7:45 PM in response to DonGoldberg

Re: How to control messages being read aloud

Look in Settings > Notifications > Announce Notifications to see if that is turned on. If so, you can turn it off there.

________________________________________________________________________________

Else: Apple Support's online article: Announce calls, messages, and more with Siri on iPhone

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/iph838fd6fd4/ios

says:

Go to Settings  > Siri > Announce Notifications, then turn on (or off) Announce Notifications.

How to control messages being read aloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.