You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to stop HomePod automatically playing when touched

I have two HomePods and they automatically start playing if I accidentally touch them - how do I disable this option?

I have looked at the following page but am not sure which section refers to my issue:

Change HomePod settings – Apple Support (UK)

Thank you

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 3:41 AM

7 replies

Sep 24, 2024 12:20 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

There is no setting to turn that off, but you can set a duration that the touch must be held for before it will be registered. So you could choose a duration that is long enough not to accidentally start playing, but not so long that using touch for other things (volume control, invoke Siri) is annoying. Or if you never use the panel, you could choose the maximum duration which is 4 seconds.

Sep 25, 2024 9:16 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Yes, I have also asked that question in a different thread. I get my daughter's music from, presumably, Apple Music Library and want to choose a different source

Lawrence Hammer wrote:

Thanks!

So the HomePod controls are in the Home App. I guess Apple decided to not have a separate HomePod App to find this stuff.

Now if I can just get it to stop playing Apple One music when it is touched. I want it to play my local NPR station instead.

I also think it would be easier for a dedicated app for HomePods

How to stop HomePod automatically playing when touched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.