You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

2022 Mac Studio and the stubborn 5120x1440

Okay here's the story. I have a 2022 Mac Studio and a MacBook Pro 2017 intel. I bought a Samsung 49 inch to replace my 49 inch monitor I already had. (newer model and better picture.) The old monitor had two Display ports and the Mac worked perfect. The new monitor only has one. That is plugged into my gaming PC to get the full 240hz. I have a work laptop on a dock Hp and it is on the HDMI mini and 5120x1440 120hz. Now we get to the good part. The MacBook is older and runs at 5120x1440 same cable as the Mac Studio. When the Studio is plugged in I have to use 3rd party software to even get a picture that works. Will not do 5120x1440 will no go above 60hz, HDR is not listed. I change the cable to the Display port works like it's suppose to. My theory is the software in the Mac is sensing that there is a HDMI port on the other side even though it is a C port to HDMI. Any ideas? Can apple help with this? I really just need the display software reviewed I don't know enough about software, but hardware I have narrowed down the problem. Side note I have tried screen buddy and better display no luck. I have a software from apples App Store called Screen Size Tool. It helps but the picture should be this bad. I have some pictures attached. Anyone can help that would be amazing. Thanks!

Mac Studio, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 7:26 PM

12 replies

Sep 25, 2024 9:42 AM in response to sBrandon16

<< I have a work laptop on a dock Hp and it is on the HDMI mini and 5120x1440 120hz. >>

The problem is likely that the DOCK and CABLES can not support those very high data rates.

Displays above 4K are running their interfaces very close to the maximum switching speeds for that type of digital logic. Cable lengths over the specified maximum lengths, or cables that are not certified to these data rates WILL cause errors, and newer MacOS does not continue talking to a display that throws errors.

Sep 25, 2024 9:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Connected by HDMI cable, the cable must be a certified cable, ULTRA class, and should be short. There is no published limit, but definitely under one meter.

Connected by Genuine Thunderbolt 3 or 4 cable, Apple cables up to 0.8 meter are engineered for this purpose. Brand-X cables are strictly limited to 0.5 meter, and not longer.

ThunderBolt-4 cables themselves are not much different than ThunderBolt-3 cables. Unless EVERY device is Thunderbolt-4, you are de facto using ThunderBolt-3, regardless of the name on the cable.

The data rates required are close to the switching speeds of this type of digital logic. The losses over cables longer than spec often cause data errors, and your Mac will stop taking to a display that incurs data errors.

Cables "shipped in the box" are notorious for being 'lowest bidder' cables. - only good enough to keep you from returning the device the first day.

At lower resolutions, the data rate is sharply reduced, so far fewer errors occur. In addition, Windows does not care if there are errors -- that's your problem.

Sep 25, 2024 10:33 AM in response to sBrandon16

<< I can get 3480x1080 at 120 fps so that tells me the cable can do 120hz right? >.

No not right at all. its the combination of resolution and refresh rate that tells yo something about how well the cable is performing.

resolutions above 4K are frighteningly fast data rates.

You should NOT be using a USB to HDMI cable at all. Mac Studio only supports 4K and higher resolutions on its DIRECT HDMI port, NO adapters allowed.

Sep 25, 2024 11:46 AM in response to sBrandon16

It is sad that the new Display does not have dual Display inputs like the old Display.

When I first read your initial question.

I was thinking that I would use the new Display with the Mac Studio and use the old Display for the Gaming PC.

However after re-reading your initial replay and your following replies.

Now I'm thinking that I would use the old Display with the Mac Studio and use the new Display with the Gaming PC.

Sep 25, 2024 12:51 PM in response to den.thed

I don’t have the old display anymore. I’m only using this one. New display has 3 ports. One display port, one normal hdmi, and one hdmi mini port. My gaming pc can run 240hz a Mac will not do that. It’s a waste to use the display port for the Mac. Unplugging the everyday will ruin the port. So it’s in the display port plug. Work computer is in the mini HDMI’s and it runs 5120x1440 at 120hz. So I know the screen can run on what it needs to. Some reason on the Mac the c port is my best option. The hdmi is limited to 60hz on the Mac Studio. 2022 machine and didn’t put the best port shocker apple. There is no reason to have this much trouble just for a video output from a machine.

Sep 25, 2024 3:29 PM in response to sBrandon16

<< RE: uni USB C to HDMI 2.1 Cable [8K@60Hz,4K@144Hz] 6FT Aluminum Type-C to HDMI Braided Cord [Thunderbolt 4/3 Compatible] Support 48Gbps/HDCP2.3/HDR for Laptop, Tablet, Galaxy S24 >>

at 6 ft, the USB portion of that cable before the adapter is too long to be reliable at that speed.

HDMI 2.1 adapters get burn-your-skin-off HOT at the adapter electronics, and fail prematurely.

2022 Mac Studio and the stubborn 5120x1440

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.