You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac OS sequoia Apple Mail not syncing with outlook

My Apple Mail app on the Mac is down to three emails in my inbox, but the Outlook web app and the iPhone are showing 134 unread emails, all of which have already been dealt with and filed into folders. None of those show they’ve been moved in Outlook or on the phone. The Mac’s mail activity monitor is stuck and hasn’t shown any progress for over six days, despite multiple reboots and double the amount of memory space on the Exchange server. 

I wonder if the automatic update on my iPhone to iOS 18, plus the automatic update on the Mac to Sequoia v15 had something to do with this, but since I don’t have administrator access on either device, I can’t troubleshoot this issue myself. 

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 9:58 PM

10 replies

Sep 25, 2024 7:59 AM in response to Matti Haveri

I am able to delete and re-add the account but that made no difference. Neither did rebuilding the mailbox. I’m suspecting something on the corporate exchange server side.

My company uses Sophos Endpoint as an email guardian, could the latest update changed the way Apple Mail interacts with that? I am unable to turn that off to see if that makes a difference.

I opened up the Outlook web app and sent a test email from that side (rather than in Apple Mail) and THAT showed up almost immediately in the Apple Mail sent folder. But mails sent via Apple Mail don’t show up in the Outlook web sent folder. It’s perplexing.

Sep 25, 2024 10:57 AM in response to AlWeir

I tried that, but it was worse because Outlook could not see previous emails I've sent in Apple Mail. I had to keep going back into Apple Mail to find them. I also have 35 or so "template" emails in a folder in Apple Mail and all I have to do is right-click and hit "resend" to use them over and over. Those did not translate into Outlook efficiently, and I ended up having to cut and paste all the time. It took way longer and made my job WAY harder.

This whole issue only started when my work iPhone auto-updated to iOS 18 (it's company-controlled so I cannot turn auto-update off) and my Mac auto-updated (same issue) to Sequoia v15.0 on the same day. All of a sudden my iPhone emails and my Mac emails no longer synced with each other.

I just now sent another email via Apple Mail on my Mac, and when I checked my iPhone, it was NOT in the sent folder. I got a response from the recipient, so I know they got it. I then sent a test email to my personal email address and I recivied it - but again, it was not in the "sent" folder of Outlook on the web or on my iPhone, even though it IS in the "sent" folder of Apple Mail.

I've tried deleting and re-installing the work email account on the phone, but the problem persists. I'm wondering if the OS updates on my Mac & iPhone have created some kind of a conflict with Sophos Endpoint? That's the only thing I can think might be happening.

This issue is ONLY happening on my work email in Apple Mail. I have a personal account as well, and that one is working FINE, but it isn't being re-directed through the Sophos Endpoint gate like my work email is.

I have sent this suggestion to our 3rd party so-called "help desk" but have not yet received a response. I think they may be googling it - these are NOT Mac people.

Sep 25, 2024 9:53 AM in response to jtomalley

It has been a few years since I used Exchange mail at work. At work I used Windows Outlook to read mail (confusingly Mac version of Outlook could NOT read Exchange mail). At home on the Mac and iPhone I configured their Mail.app to use Exchange with OWA (Outlook Web Access) to read work email. At one time I also used Cisco AnyConnect VPN and Remote Desktop Client (I found Parallels client best for that) to some PC or server at work and used Windows Outlook via that, but later that route was not possible because our IT staff restricted VPN to only certain very limited tasks like HIS, RIS and PACS that we really needed to see.

Sep 25, 2024 10:58 AM in response to jtomalley

jtomalley wrote:

our 3rd party so-called "help desk" but have not yet received a response. I think they may be googling it - these are NOT Mac people.

I sounds like one option might be to get Windows laptop for work related things? Maybe your employer could loan it for you if they also insist configuring it and their IT staff is clueless about Macs?

Sep 25, 2024 11:48 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Oh heavens no. Then I would lose ALL of the previous emails I've sent from Apple Mail. We're talking 4 years' worth! We used to have an in-house IT department and they were awesome with Macs, they're the ones that issued my MacBook Pro to me when I was hired.

But in the last year or so, our house IT director left for greener pastures & took his guys with him, so instead of hiring new people to replace the team, they outsourced to a "Technology Partner" company, and we've had mixed results ever since.

I'm still suspecting it has something to do with the way they have the Sophos gateway set up because my personal email goes through the same MS Exchange server protocol, but it's functioning fine. ONLY the emails that go through the gateway are having sync issues.

Oct 7, 2024 7:22 PM in response to JPEDMD

That would be useful if it were my personal Outlook account, but my personal account is working FINE.

It's my company's corporate email that is misbehaving, and THEY manage the servers. We have no control over logins or account set-up. We can't even change our own password without assistance from their 3rd-party IT management service.

Mac OS sequoia Apple Mail not syncing with outlook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.