You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Duplicate Logic Projects in open recents tab leading to missing project

This is the strangest issue but I started a project on logic pro X and once or twice opened it in Logic Pro for Ipad. This process seemed to mess it up a little and I noticed there was two logic projects with the same name afterwards appearing in the open recents tab. It did not appear to cause any major issues and I continued to work on the project. Occasionally I would open the wrong project with the duplicate name and would realise it was the almost empty version of the project. I would then close it and reopen the one which I had worked on substantially. The project was more or less finished. 

A few weeks later I decided to create a partition on my hard disk in order to use bootcamp to install Windows 11. So of course I made a time machine back up before I did this just in case. Now when I try to open the same project there is only one version of it but I can see the other finished version of the project when I right click show recents/all windows on the logic pro icon in the task bar. It does not have a windowimage.jpg like the other version and looks more like a template icon. 

I did not check that the project was accessible before the backup stupidly. All other projects are fine. So weird. I have spent the last 24 hours trying to access this project troubleshooting with chatgpt. 

Just to recap there is only one version of the project now that is accessible but it is virtually empty (the very first few hours of making the project). I have checked the show package contents and there are not autosaves of the finished project. I have checked the contents of the timemachine back, completed two full restores in the hopes of recreating the system environment (state) where the corruption occurs in the hopes that I can access the finished project and change the name of it so it separates from the earlier version but none of this has worked. I cannot click on the 2nd finished version, plus it does not seem to exist anywhere, not even on external hardrive timemachine backup files. 

So stressed. Was a great project! So how do I recover it? At least I would want to locate the audio and would just mix it again. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Running Mojave on Mid 2012 MBP Logic Pro 10.5.1 

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.14

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 5:05 PM

2 replies

Sep 26, 2024 2:27 AM in response to yoyoBen

I appreciate it is a confusing issue and so quite difficult to describe. Basically there seems to be alternate versions of the TR project you see in the screenshots. One is the .logicx file which I can open but is a very old version and has nothing in it apart from maybe 4 tracks (bass, drums, etc). The other, which I have worked on for the last few months, is not accessible anymore as you can see from the screenshots. It does not have a windowimage.jpg (preview) of the project/logic interface and I cannot find it on the system. I should have renamed it so there weren't 2 TR projects in the open recents list but I didn't.

Used Diskdrill which seemed to recover and reconstruct some of the audio files but most are unusable.

So the project is on my computer in fragments but it seems one version of the TR.logicx project began to take priority over the other at some point and I do not have a TM backup from before that happened. Perhaps the TM backup even created this problem.

Ultimately, I cannot open the version of TR that I want.

You are right that my LPX is outdated and it was unwise of me to open the project in ipad LPX. Didn't want to update my LPX coz it is running very stable in this current environment.

Used terminal to search the system throughly, but only DiskDrill was capable of finding some audio files from the project. Most sound like early dial-up modem internet or celestial voice notes from Matthew McConaughey.

Seems unsolvable but any insight will be valuable, the project was so good shame to have lost it.

Sep 26, 2024 1:29 AM in response to TSDongola

I don't know what is causing your issue and I honestly didn't quite understand your description either, but keep in mind you are using a pretty outdated version of Logic on your mac and a pretty new version on your iPad. This could lead to problems, as there was no version for the iPad at the time Logic 10.5 1 was developed.

As a tip, I would rename the project as soon as I open it on iPad and vice versa.

Duplicate Logic Projects in open recents tab leading to missing project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.