You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Inherit timemachine backup when adding new external disk

I have a Mac Studio connected to an external drive that contains my timemachine backup history. But it’s only 1TB I want to replace it with a 2TB drive. How do I transfer the timemachine backups onto the new drive.

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2024 6:53 AM

In general, you Don't.

Transferring time machine backups could introduce errors during the transfer, and make your backup SET less reliable.

what is recommended instead is to ADD the new drive as an additional Time Machine backup destination, and it will alternate drives. Each backup drive is independent, and either can be removed whenever you decide to.

But the backup drive you start today, only has history from today, so you will want to run both for at least a few weeks.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2024 6:53 AM in response to Grafiker37

In general, you Don't.

Transferring time machine backups could introduce errors during the transfer, and make your backup SET less reliable.

what is recommended instead is to ADD the new drive as an additional Time Machine backup destination, and it will alternate drives. Each backup drive is independent, and either can be removed whenever you decide to.

But the backup drive you start today, only has history from today, so you will want to run both for at least a few weeks.

Inherit timemachine backup when adding new external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.