You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

2017 Mac mini with 1000 gig storage replaced by 2023 Macbook Pro with only 500 gigs

My 2017 mac mini has started to have glitches, so wanting to make my 2023 Macbook Pro, despite half the storage space, my new primary computer. Problem is not enough room for Music or Photo libraries. If I transfer the music and photo libraries from Mac Mini onto an external hard drive, will I be able to simply plug the same drive into my Macbook Pro and option-open the apps to select the libraries on the hard drive as their defaults? Don't know if this complicates things, but the newer Macbook is running Ventura and the older Mac Mini is running Sonoma.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 2:53 AM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2024 3:20 AM in response to BOBBOBKK

If the versions of Music are different, you may find that a library once opened with the Sonoma version of Music cannot be opened by a machine with an older macOS.

I addressed this on my computer by just running old versions of iTunes (which I still use) but since Apple decided that Music needed to be part of the operating system they have kind of locked you out of options. There's things I could suggest trying but I suspect I probably wouldn't be allowed to on these forums since Music is now operating system territory.

2017 Mac mini with 1000 gig storage replaced by 2023 Macbook Pro with only 500 gigs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.