You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to remove an auto-complete suggestion from Safari - Update

Recently I noticed that when I typed "goog" in the Safari address bar, it would try to autocomplete using a googleads link which is of course NOT what I wanted. I tried searching this discussion site and came upon this previous thread: How to remove an auto-complete suggestion… - Apple Community

The top suggestion in that thread was to clear your entire browser history. Well, I commonly use my browser history so I was hoping to avoid doing that, and the OP in that thread also mentioned that clearing the history also clears the sites that they wanted to keep track of.

I tried to analyze the situation a little more before opting for such a drastic sledgehammer approach to the problem. When you start typing in the Safari address bar, it tries to autocomplete your URL and the first suggestion is labeled as "Top Hit." I knew that, but what I had never noticed is that there is an X that appears when you hover over the suggested Top Hit URL with your mouse cursor. Clicking on the X, I was able to remove the errant Top Hit suggestion trying to autocomplete my google.com addressing with the googleads URL. I hope this post can help somebody hoping to achieve the same goal that I was trying to achieve without having to remove the entire browsing history.

Lastly, why would Safari ever choose such a stupid URL to suggest as a "Top Hit" to autocomplete typing in the address bar in the first place??? FYI, I am currently using Sonoma 14.7 on an M1 MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 6:51 AM

There are no replies.

How to remove an auto-complete suggestion from Safari - Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.