You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Has anyone had issues with Topaz ai software that uprezzes standard footage to HD widescreen? Killed 4 of my computers!

Has anyone had issues with Topaz ai software that uprezzes standard footage to HD widescreen? It's actually killed four of my apple computers. First my iMac 2017, both of them. Then I bought an iMac 2023 and once I installed Topaz, it rendered that computer useless and I had to return it. Then I bought a Mac Studio with M2 chip and turns out I'm having to erase and reinstall the OS as Topaz ai has also rendered the Mac Studio to not work properly. It's crashed everyday and made it impossible to work in FCPX. I created a new volume on my Mac Studio and worked on projects and no issue, until I installed Topaz Ai on that volume and immediately the computer started having all kinds of issues again -- even when the Topaz software was not running, and even AFTER I uninstalled Topaz. It's like it plants a virus every time you install the Topaz software on any computer. Anyone else installed Topaz on an M2 Apple computer and having these issues? It's almost like there's a virus in the Topaz software that once you use it, your computer can not run any other software including FCPX without crashes and lots of issues.

Mac Studio

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 12:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 8:54 AM

My reply doesn't belong in this topic either, but…

You hit it right on the head. The blog/article was always primarily about what OS installed fonts you could remove or disable and still not disable anything the OS absolutely needed to function properly.

When Apple locked down the OS, it was still useful in that the truly locked fonts were already, mostly, critical (such as, I have no need for Braille). That left the Supplemental fonts, which could all be disabled if you wanted to do that. Then Apple locked that sub-folder down, and the article essentially became obsolete.

On top of that, the wife and I are retired, and that lockdown was a good reason to let it go so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. Too many other things in the frying pan we do, and want to get to.

Keeping the three pages up requires paying for a hosting service and domain name for no real reason other than having a static page sit there. The Wayback archive has the same last page and I don't have to pay anything for its visibility. Even the links to the two older articles are stored and work!

I did ask a few other people heavily into fonts if they wanted to take it over, but none were interested as it would only add to their own workload. And about a year ago a reader asked about making it a GitHub page where anyone could edit and add to the article to keep it running basically forever. But that would mean having it stored on my GitHub page. Which meant someday in the future, someone would have to figure out how to get it out from under my account and moved somewhere else.

I still do have all of working files (it's built in Sparkle). I just don't know who'd want it.

I do thank you for the "thanks". It is appreciated. 🙂

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2024 8:54 AM in response to mazal

My reply doesn't belong in this topic either, but…

You hit it right on the head. The blog/article was always primarily about what OS installed fonts you could remove or disable and still not disable anything the OS absolutely needed to function properly.

When Apple locked down the OS, it was still useful in that the truly locked fonts were already, mostly, critical (such as, I have no need for Braille). That left the Supplemental fonts, which could all be disabled if you wanted to do that. Then Apple locked that sub-folder down, and the article essentially became obsolete.

On top of that, the wife and I are retired, and that lockdown was a good reason to let it go so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. Too many other things in the frying pan we do, and want to get to.

Keeping the three pages up requires paying for a hosting service and domain name for no real reason other than having a static page sit there. The Wayback archive has the same last page and I don't have to pay anything for its visibility. Even the links to the two older articles are stored and work!

I did ask a few other people heavily into fonts if they wanted to take it over, but none were interested as it would only add to their own workload. And about a year ago a reader asked about making it a GitHub page where anyone could edit and add to the article to keep it running basically forever. But that would mean having it stored on my GitHub page. Which meant someday in the future, someone would have to figure out how to get it out from under my account and moved somewhere else.

I still do have all of working files (it's built in Sparkle). I just don't know who'd want it.

I do thank you for the "thanks". It is appreciated. 🙂

Oct 3, 2024 5:17 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Hello Kurt, I'm sorry to you, this community, and the internet at large for being off-topic, but I must offer a thanks-for-the-fishes salute to your now-defunct Font Management in MacOS blog.

I just discovered that you shut the blog down. I want to cry. WHY? I knew immediately why; Apple had forced it into irrelevance. But it's a historical document, and even defunct materials are often kept around for reference. I learned so much about fonts from you. Plus, this document kept me from losing my mind as Apple gaslights users into passive retail consumers.

Thanks to the Wayback archive, I downloaded a PDF version. Nonetheless, I urge you to reconsider keeping the site offline altogether, as the educational content is profound, regardless of its non-functional outcome. 🥹

Thanks for the fishes, 🐟 🐟 🐟

Mazal

Oct 3, 2024 2:18 PM in response to Bryanfilmfun

Yes, I've run Photo AI and Gigapixel on an M2 Pro mini with no issues whatsoever.

And why do you think the Macs were literally unusable after the Topaz software caused them to freeze? Ever heard of restarting the computer? Or in the worst case, erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS? (which you did in one example).

If you think the software is that bad, why do you keep installing it?

Has anyone had issues with Topaz ai software that uprezzes standard footage to HD widescreen? Killed 4 of my computers!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.