You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why has Facebook seemingly tanken over my Safari browser?

Recently I've noticed that Facebook has placed a link with their logo on the upper left of my Safari browser in the same section of the heading the puts the title of the site one is on, and it is there all the time, even if I am not using Facebook at the time. It is always there, no matter how many tabs I have open, even if I have only one page up. See the posted screen shots.

In the first one, I have two tabs up and am on the page with the Prospect News. You can see the FB logo to the left. If I were to click on it, it would not open or close any tabs but it would put my FB home page on Safari:

On the next screen shot, I have just one page open, the one to this apple disscussion. As you can see, the FB logo is still there:

In fact, as you can see in this screenshot, when I just open a Safari Window without going to any site, the logo is still there on the left:

It's really creeping me out! Does anybody know how it got there? I don't know if it was there before the last update or not. I only noticed it a few days ago but am not sure when I last got an update of my OS. I am in Sanoma 14.6.1 and my Safari is Version 17.6

I'd like to know if other people with FB accounts have this happening. I really resent FB doing this! Is it some sort of ad or something? Are they tracking every place I go on the internet? Did they Pay Apple to put it on the browsers of people with a Facebook ID? I tried logging out of FB to see if it would go away but it's still there.

Is there any way to get this FB logo and link off the heading of Safari? I would like to get rid of it!

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 4:15 PM

11 replies

Oct 1, 2024 5:09 PM in response to cheeky-monkey

It is configured differently on what input device you use. On a mouse it is the right button (Magic Mouse it is double tap) and on a trackpad, you can set it to be a double tap on the track pad. Stedman1 is correct, that it is known as a secondary click, but back in the day when the mouse was more popular, they called it a right click for the right button on a 2 button mouse.

When using the trackpad, you can see how this could be done accidentally when 2 fingers tap the trackpad instead of one, and it takes very little effort for the first item to be selected.

I can't argue with the simple approach provided by John Galt to just use Window menu > Unpin Tab. Just wanted to point out how it could have happened in the first place.

Why has Facebook seemingly tanken over my Safari browser?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.