You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Having Trouble Restoring Music Library (including Playlists) from Time Machine backup

My music library got messed up during an attempt to clean up my computer and I want to restore my music library from a Time Machine backup. Critically, I need to restore the PLAYLISTS. I do not subscribe to Apple Music. I closed Music, went into Time Machine and restored the "Music Library" file from the "Music" folder, and re-opened Music, but the music library looks the same -- that is, without the playlists that were there at the time of the Time Machine backup. What am I missing? Is there a next step after restoring the "Music Library" file in order to get the missing playlists back? Thanks so much!!

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 1, 2024 11:06 PM

3 replies

Oct 2, 2024 7:43 AM in response to vortizde

Make sure you're restoring a copy of the .musiclibrary package captured before you started trying to clean things up. Make sure to option-start-Music and use the Choose Library option to select the restored file, in case Music is still connected to the library you deleted, or a cached version of it. See also Empty/corrupt iTunes/Music library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community.

tt2

Having Trouble Restoring Music Library (including Playlists) from Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.