You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

'Home Sharing' is skipping certain tracks, when streamed/casted to other devices. These 'skipped' songs play fine on host computer - is this an Apple bug?

For some reason, when 'Home Sharing' is enabled on my Mac, any device which receives the 'streaming/casting' do not play certain songs.... these songs skipped over entirely when attempted to be played on the casted device. It is always the same songs that are skipped, so this is not a network/congestion issue.

I am using Apple Music to host the library, but I do not use 'Apple Music' service. These songs play fine on the host computer which is hosting the 'home sharing' (Sequoia 15.0).

So for some unknown reason, the target systems (receiving the stream/cast) refuse to play certain songs, and they all behave the same way - they are all skipping the same songs. I cannot find any issue with the source material (FYI, this is all local music, as I do not use 'Apple Music' service). Some of the songs being skipped are audio tracks I have created with my own audio tools, which rules out the possibility of DRM metadata from another iTunes account being a possible culprit. So, is this an Apple bug?

Devices I have tested the casting on are: an Apple TV, and a second Mac Book Pro.

All devices, and the source computer have the latest updates.

The source computer has "Media Sharing" turned on.

• Same Apple ID is on all devices.
  • All devices are 'awake' and not asleep/powered off.
  • All devices are on the same WiFi network
  • All devices are on the latest MacOS and tvOS

I do not think that my music library is corrupted, otherwise it would not play correctly on the host system, which it DOES.

Any ideas? Apple bug?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 12:05 PM

There are no replies.

'Home Sharing' is skipping certain tracks, when streamed/casted to other devices. These 'skipped' songs play fine on host computer - is this an Apple bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.