You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iMac M3 or Studio M2 Max? Or Mini with M2 Pro?

Which is more future-proof: the iMac M3 with 24 GB memory or the Mac Studio M2 Max with 32 GB memory? I do Photoshop mostly, but will be doing more video editing eventually. I was not happy when my 2018 iMac hit the wall and could no longer run OS updates. I imagine this may happen again, hence my uncertainty over these two ways to go. Configured similarly with 2 TB HDs, they wind up about $100 apart, so no big deal. I already have the peripherals I need for the Studio.

The third option is the Mini with the M2 Pro chip and 32 GB memory. That would save me $400 or $500, more of a lure. But what about its longevity?

Thanks for any advice.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 11:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 8:28 AM

There is no 2018 iMac, see > Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

If you have a 2017 iMac stuck on Ventura, it will be supported by security updates for a few more years.

Personally I would take the new 24" iMac completely off of the list for a couple of reasons.

1) the current 24" iMac including the 4 port model can only use one external display.

2) worse folks have been reporting display issues with the current 24" iMac's.

Then I would put the Mac mini M2 Pro on the top of the list and decide between it and the Mac Studio.

While the Mac Studio is more powerful, the Mac mini will run circles around your current iMac.

As far longevity, the Mac mini M2 Pro should live as long as any other Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2024 8:28 AM in response to moosey21

There is no 2018 iMac, see > Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

If you have a 2017 iMac stuck on Ventura, it will be supported by security updates for a few more years.

Personally I would take the new 24" iMac completely off of the list for a couple of reasons.

1) the current 24" iMac including the 4 port model can only use one external display.

2) worse folks have been reporting display issues with the current 24" iMac's.

Then I would put the Mac mini M2 Pro on the top of the list and decide between it and the Mac Studio.

While the Mac Studio is more powerful, the Mac mini will run circles around your current iMac.

As far longevity, the Mac mini M2 Pro should live as long as any other Mac.

iMac M3 or Studio M2 Max? Or Mini with M2 Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.