You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Apple Pencil Pro doesn’t show up in Find My list of devices after iPadOS 18.0.1

I was finally able to restore my M1 iPad Pro backup to my new M4 iPad Pro I bought last Saturday because it finally got iPadOS 18.0.1; however, the Apple Pencil Pro doesn’t show up in my Find My devices list. Even after I disconnect and re-pair it, and add it to Find My, I keep getting a pop up message saying “This Apple Pencil has already been added to Find My”. But it’s not in my list of devices. Even if I check online to see my devices list, it’s not even there.

Help! Is this a known issue? Do I have a janky Apple Pencil Pro and should I just get it replaced? (I’m still in my return window). I have a call scheduled with Apple Support tomorrow morning, but I have a feeling this is most likely a glitch and there won’t be anything they can do about it.

Anyone experiencing this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 18

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 10:51 PM

8 replies

Oct 4, 2024 12:06 PM in response to jagreen86

I did a complete erase of the ipad and set it up as a brand new device. When I paired the Apple Pencil, it went through the entire demo screen tutorial, and when it got to the Find My screen, it said it had already been added to Find My. So I’m thinking it’s a Find My issue, where the device is somehow still locked to my device list, but doesn’t appear at all, and there is no way to remove it from my Find My list.

I have zero hopes that this will get resolved if it’s a Find My issue.

Methinks this iPad Pro is going back to the store ASAP with the Apple Pencil Pro and Magic Keyboard… sigh, so much for new tech just working like it should *sigh*

Oct 5, 2024 4:14 PM in response to jagreen86

I exchanged my Pencil Pro for a new one… and surprise, surprise, it worked! It’s definitely a hardware glitch that doesn’t allow you to unpair your device from Find My. I say get AppleCare to replace your Pencil Pro with a new one (even if you don’t have AppleCare+, you’re still within your 1 year warranty, so just get it replaced).

Apple Pencil Pro doesn’t show up in Find My list of devices after iPadOS 18.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.