You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Need VPN to request VPN password everytime

Configuring 2FA for office. A couple users have Macs and they remote into the office. Right now, they connect using their AD username and password and they are connecting as expected. The move to 2FA is using an Authenticator and a random 6 digit code to replace the password. I need the VPN to request / require typing the password - so we can enter the OTP. I have tried removing the password and just leaving it blank, but it just disconnects. The only way I've been able to get it to work is to modify the VPN settings and add the OTP before trying to connect.

While this works, I anticipate angry users; as they won't want to perform this every time they want to connect (I don't blame them). Is there any way to get the VPN to request the VPN (not the keychain) password everytime its launched?

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 11:43 AM

1 reply

Oct 6, 2024 1:09 PM in response to J_Anemone

That would be up to the VPN system your company is using. Some, such as the one from Cisco, requires a password whenver the user connects. I would expect that most VPN systems work similarly. But without knowing what VPN your firm is using I can't say with any certainty. If you can post back with full details, we can perhaps be more helpful.

Regards.

Need VPN to request VPN password everytime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.