You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Chrome, CMM and FCP. . . . the Unholy Trinity?

For a number of years the perceived wisdom has been that the first 2 items can be disastrous to FCP and dissertations have been produced "proving" the "fact".

However, from my observations, huge numbers of people appear to have all three installed and working harmoniously on their Macs . . . look on YouTube.

Are they all lying?

On a personal note I have had to install Chrome several times over the past few years and have never noticed any deleterious effect on FCP although I always removed it as soon as possible, such was my fear.

So I keep asking myself, why does Chrome appear to have an effect on some people and not others and the most likely answer appears to be that some other agency is at work and Crome with its evil daemons (or demons?) is just the fall guying the wrong place at the wrong time.

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 6, 2024 1:38 AM

2 replies

Oct 8, 2024 5:47 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Not all bugs show up on all machines the same, or at all. Different third party software and hardware installed can make a difference. Some functions certain folks use a lot, others never use, so only some notice a bug. This has been a fact of computer life since software was first written. It is not unique to FCP and Chrome. You've been lucky. I have an iMacPro that never had the. Chrome issue. I have a MacBook Pro that did. Different hardware configurations, different software configurations. There's a million parts to a computer, and all computers are infinitely different in minuscule ways. Just how computers work.

Oct 9, 2024 2:01 AM in response to BenB

Thanks Ben. That more or less confirms what I suspected that the deleterious effects can be variable depending on the setup of the individual machine.

I think it's well documented that Chrome hogs large amounts of resources but bringing FCP etc. to a standstill is more tenuous.

Regarding the fact that the type and composition of software can affect performance, I have often wondered whether what a user simply types on the keyboard or the order in which software is installed could cause problems rather like the Butterfly Effect.

Chrome, CMM and FCP. . . . the Unholy Trinity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.