You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Small green dots that seem to be only visible when parts of the screen are black

I saw someone post about this awhile ago but never saw a solution. It's not a stuck pixel either they come and go when certain things are open. Trying to figure out if its the screen or what.

iMac Pro, macOS 14.4

Posted on Oct 6, 2024 6:55 PM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2024 10:00 AM in response to fw@nds

Display issues are hard to diagnose in this forum setting or at home, but I can give a few at-home assessment steps:

... they come and go when certain things are open...

—Can your narrow down "certain things"? That may help us better help you here.

—If you tip the iMac back and forth on it hinge, do the dots change?

—Go to Settings > Desktop and choose among the darker solid colors available. Do the dots appear that way, and remain as you change colors? If so, it is likely a hardware problem, not an app Issue.

—If you have access to an external monitor, attach it. If the dots disappear on the external, that says there is an issue in the display and not due to an app or a hardware fault on your logic board.

Posting images here seldom reveals much useful information regarding pixel-size display problems due to the forums' resolution limitations. Therefore I highly recommend letting Apple assess this. The iMac Pro was in production until March 2021. Thus it still falls under Apple's "will service" parameters.

Given the general nature of display issues, they are your best chance for getting some idea of what is going on.

Small green dots that seem to be only visible when parts of the screen are black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.