You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Numbers, return within a cell

Forgive my frustration, but Apple has once again unreasonably changed something and finding a resolution requires an interminable amount of time and energy.

Please, what is the current process for creating a return within a single cell in Numbers?

I've unsuccessfully tried:

• Shift-Return
  • Control-Return
  • Option-Return
  • Command-Return
  • Tab-Return

This is a function that I use frequently, but have recently had to resort to a unsatisfactory and complicated mix of multiple rows, paragraph spacing, font sizing, etc.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 10:54 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2024 8:20 PM in response to Ltlmrs

With the cursor active in the cell option-return is the combination that works on my machine and has for years. I'm currently running Numbers 14.2 running under macOS 15.0.1 Sequoia with a US keyboard.

If that doesn't work for you then you might want to check that you don't have a custom keyboard shortcut set up somewhere that might be conflicting with the native Numbers keyboard shortcut.

For a long list of keyboard shortcuts in Numbers see Help > Keyboard Shortcuts in the menu. Not all of these seem to work as described. But they may give you ideas.

SG

Numbers, return within a cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.